How do I teach and grade in a combo 1,2, 3 class

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by Teacheraa, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Teacheraa

Teacheraa Rookie

Oct 19, 2009

Hi,

Ive just been thrown into a Montessori class with no materials or training. I guess Im supposed to figure this all out. It is a 1st , 2nd, 3rd grade combo class. Im all alone. My question is, how do i teach 3 rowdy grades successfully at the same time?

And how do I grade in a Montessori class? I havent been given any guidelines. Is it just like make assessments and make up some sort of report card for them? Is this all my own design that I just kind of make up as I wish? Is that how it works in Montessori? Help me please. Thanks.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2009

Wow. I cant believe they wouldn't give you any type of support or information at all.

Montessori schools don't do grades, but we do give assignments to children and then check their work. If the work needs refinements, it's given back to the child to correct.

I have training at the 6-9 level, but have not taught that level. It's a very difficult thing to have to do if you've never had the training. I suggest you see if you can find another teacher at your school to talk with you about what you need to do, or talk to the director and have him/her mentor you.

I don't mean to be offensive, but I'm really surprised you were hired without Montessori training. The materials are very specific to a Montessori school and without the appropriate training, I can't imagine how you'd know how to use something like the bead frame or checkerboard.

See if you can find a mentor either within your school or at another school closeby. That's really the only way you're going to be able to make it work, IMO..

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 21, 2009

I have never taught in a Montessori classroom but I have taught k to 8th grade. What I did was broke students into ability groups not grade level groups. It worked out wonderfully.

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 22, 2009

I also am shocked that you would get hired into a montessori position without any training. is the school going to get you the coursework/training?

6. deerrsusan

deerrsusan New Member

Aug 6, 2010

Hi Mommaruthie,
    I am finishing my Montessori training and need help with grammar boxes. I am in Deerfield Beach, I see you are in Broward. Can you contact me at deerrsusan@aol.com, maybe you could help me understand it.
    Thank you,
    Susie

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 16, 2010

susie, i am so rarely on atoz but will try to offer you the support you might need. I work/live in weston and will send you a message with my contact info. Perhaps we can walk/talk thru a lesson. Or I can help you to inventory what is there and what you need. ruth