How do I resign for next year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 11, 2017

I do not plan on coming back to my school next year. I had planned that from the start. It's one of the reasons why I took a temporary position in a different grade level rather than a permanent position at a grade level I am comfortable at and experienced with when both were offered to me. However I have not told anyone of my plan because I didn't think it was their business, and I don't want my entire school year to be this awkward situation of "Oh well he's not coming back next year anyway".

Also I am using some of their support resources. For instance, they are paying for my National Board fees, and I've signed up for some PD.

Everyone expects me to be pumped to be coming back next year, because the principal really likes me and I do my job well, but even if I hadn't planned to be leaving next year, I wouldn't be coming back anyway, because the environment isn't right for me (or for most teachers in my opinion).

I'm in this weird spot where I want to continue going to PDs and improving my practice (when I go to PDs I always bring something back to my instruction and use it almost immediately) but I feel like they're allowing me to take these opportunities because they believe I want to stay on for next year so they are getting something out of their investment.

Am I a terrible person for taking advantage of that even though I have no plans to return? Even if I don't teach next year, I do plan to sub and tutor while I go back to school, and I do plan to use what I learn in my practice for this year, so it may not benefit their district directly, but I do believe it will benefit students in the long run.

Anyway, I'm afraid that they will be bitter when I end up resigning. I am also unsure of when I should resign, or how I should resign. I don't want to spend a month or more avoiding glances with staff members and admin or having to explain what I plan on doing next year besides working at their school. I would also prefer to not do it in person because of the same reasons.

When should I resign, and how?

3. agdamity

agdamity Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2017

My district sends out intent forms in early March so they can get an idea of how many positions they will need to fill. If you really do not intend to return, I would put in your letter of resignation, effective at the end of the year, around this time. You don't want to put anyone in the position of not being able to hire the best person for the job because you waited too long to resign.

4. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Feb 11, 2017

Do you already have something lined up? If not, I would wait until you did. Have you received your letter of intent to return yet? Mine just came this week, signing it meant if I found something somewhere else district could technically not let me out of a contract. So give that some thought.

People leave school sites all the time. I dont think that makes you a bad person. You gotta do what works best for you.

otterpop likes this.
  5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 11, 2017

If you're on a one-year contract or none at all, I'm not even sure you need to do anything proactively. If they offer you an extension of your contract, politely decline.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 11, 2017

Have not yet received any letters of intent. I don't know if it would be different for me since I'm temporary. Last time I was temporary, I got a letter telling me I was "terminated" near the end of the year, and I forgot what I did in order to stay (the principal wanted me to stay anyway, and she basically discouraged any applicants for my position).

And I do have a plan lined up for next year. (not teaching full-time, going back to school)

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 11, 2017

Will there be a lot of applicants for your position once it opens up, or is this a position that might be hard to fill? When is "job hunting season" around you? A couple of years ago my sped teammate waited to resign until the last week of school, for pretty much the same reasons you listed. There is a shortage in my area and "job hunting season" is really Feb-early May around here. By the time we were able to post the position, the quality candidates had already gotten hired. The position went unfiled about a month into the next school year and was only filled at all because we happened upon someone that was miserable in her current job and wanted out immediately. As someone who has been on the short end of that stick, please don't do that to your teammates!

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Feb 11, 2017

Personally, I'd wait until the end of the school year. I'd be afraid that my superiors would treat me differently between now and the end of the school year. That's just me, though.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2017

Those 'termination' letters are typical for nontenured. Basically it says you are not guaranteed employment for the next year, even if they are planning on keeping you. Then once the board knows their budget, hiring needs, etc, they let you know you're still employed. It can be nerve wracking but it rarely leads to unexpected termination.

Read your contract regarding how much notice you have to give for resigning and be guided accordingly.

10. otterpop

otterpop Fanatic

Feb 11, 2017

Isn't temporary just, well, temporary?

In my experience, schools will offer a one year contract and then it's over with at the end of the year, no strings attached. If the person *wants* to come back, and the school wants them back, they may be offered another position for the next year. But it's really on a year-by-year basis.

However, I can't say how this would go for your individual position.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 12, 2017

Because I changed states, I am non-tenured again, so to answer others' questions, I am just on a one-year contract.

I mean, that's how it is on paper, but everyone keeps acting like I should regard being asked to come back next year like a gift from God or something, and keep saying how sure they are that I'll be asked back next year.

I already know I'll probably be asked back next year (the principal pretty much outright said so). I just don't want to come back. LOL.

I'm just worried that they'll see me not wanting to come back as some sort of betrayal. Especially because I'll probably have to explain that I didn't plan on coming back before I even got hired but decided to keep it to myself.

12. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Feb 12, 2017

(Bolded mine) Why would you have to explain that? You don't need to give a justification for leaving; if you feel you need to, then say you would "like to pursue other opportunities."

You're also possibly overthinking the effect your resignation would have. Teachers resign every year. It's not a huge deal. Just follow your district's resignation process.

ms.irene and MissScrimmage like this.
  13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 12, 2017

We don't receive or fill out letters of intent. We receive our contract sometime around mid May and have a month to sign and return it. This was the same during my first year, when I was only employed since April and every year since.
    I would wait until towards the end of the year. Not the very end but sometime in May.

14. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 12, 2017

I would not take anymore PD opportunities. It just doesn't feel right to me at least starting from the point you are sure you will not be returning after the start of the year.

Linguist92021 and teacherintexas like this.
  15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 12, 2017

Yeah. This will probably be the last one I sign up for. I was just recommended to go by multiple people, so it was hard for me to say no, and I need to attend one as part of my National Board component.

I just feel like some of them may feel emotionally invested in me since I worked with them so closely.

16. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Feb 13, 2017

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 13, 2017

...and if you can find a proper frock, you may go to The Royal Ball?

:whistle:

Peregrin5 and Pashtun like this.
  18. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 13, 2017

Only if your fairy godmother is in the right mood.

catnfiddle likes this.
  19. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Feb 13, 2017

Some of our other posters have mentioned mice in their schools...perhaps you can get a royal carriage?

ms.irene, catnfiddle and Peregrin5 like this.