How do I fit everything in?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teacherbell, Aug 3, 2005.

1. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Aug 3, 2005

Yesterday, I found out that the school I will be teaching at is going to start doing leveled readers. I understand how to use them but I'm not sure how to go about fitting everything in. We also have a basel they want us to use and we do a four block language arts program. I will also need to have centers going while I am teaching my leveled reading groups. I would love to hear any advice on how to structure my day and get all of these programs in. This will be my first year teaching and I will be in the first grade. :thanks: :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2005

Try this book:

What Are the Other Kids Doing While You Teach Small Groups? (Paperback)
    by Donna Marriott, et al.

4. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 3, 2005

I have guided/leveled readers along with the basal readers too. What I usually did was told the students they had to read a different leveled reader each week on thier own (whenever they finished thier work early). If they hadn't read it by Thursday, they had to take it home and read it for homework. Our school has computer tests so the students had to take a test on the book after they read it. I didn't do too much other instruction with those. I focused on the basal readers for everything else.

[​IMG]

5. mmis

mmis Companion

Aug 3, 2005

I also use leveled readers and a basal rdg program. I have found that 1st graders do well with the basal as long as the stories are interesting. I use the basals as a resource during independent reading time and buddy and group reading. (Repeated reading of the same story is crucial). I also use some basal stories to work on comprehension strategies-since everyone has read the same story it helps. I DO NOT spend time everyday looking at the basal. In fact, I just introduce it on one day and then move on and let them read it. Depending on the level of the basal story, I might use it in my small guided reading groups (great for sight words).

My main focus each week is the leveled reader used during guided reading. I believe that students learn best by reading books on their instructional level-that's what guided reading is. I have my class divided into 5 groups(size differs throughout year-usually 4 in a group but sometimes 3 in one and 5 in another). Each groups reads a book on their level with me once or twice a week(the same book both times). While I am working with other groups, they are reading the same book in their small groups around the room. We work on fluency, comprehension, phonics skills, whatever is needed. The groups change as students begin to progress at different levels.

The basal is one story on one level. My students are on many levels. I use it the least of all. I do centers first thing in the morning- 8:15-8:45 while I am working with my struggling readers. My rdg block begins at 9:00 and goes until 10:30. I'm sorry this is so long! I'm just so passionate about students being able to read books on their level. I think leveled readers are the best thing I've ever done in my class!!

6. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Aug 3, 2005

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you!!

7. NCP

NCP Comrade

Aug 4, 2005

I also use both. I use the basal reader during whole group and then plan my centers off of the story in the theme book. Then during centers I meet with my guided reading or leveled groups. It works really well.

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 4, 2005

I use guided reading books for my Reading Workshop, and send the basals home for extra practice. For every five stories they read to their parents (I have a slip for the parent to sign), they get a treat from the treat jar.

9. skelley

skelley Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

I also have the leveled readers and basal readers. I do a 20-30 min guided reading lesson with the kids as a whole group everyday using the basals. Then I have a 1 hour block where we do center rotation, independent work, and reading groups. They stay in each rotation for 20 minutes. It really works well. Good luck. I know it's overwhelming!

10. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

That is a great question. I teach 2nd grade and my team had a very difficult time scheduling guided reading and the basal. What we have decided to do is use the basal as reading homework and use the comprehendsion test as a Holistic test every two weeks. This way we will be using the basal, however it won't occupy our time during the school day. Instead we will spend more time on guided reading.

11. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Aug 5, 2005

I was not trained in using centers. I teach fourth grade and we have leveled readers that come with our basal. What kinds of things do kids do in centers while you work with struggling readers?