How difficult is it to get a teaching job?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MrT, Dec 5, 2006.

1. MrT

MrT Rookie

Dec 5, 2006

I have been subbing all grade levels the last few months, but I still am unsure if I want to teach special education or elementary.

Approximately how many applicants are there for an elementary teacher position? How about Special Education? I read in the state of Washington there is typically a 100 applicants for one elementary teacher opening. Would this number be less for special education? How many applicants are there typically for a Math teacher opening?

If need be I could teach Math since I had to take a lot of math for my Computer Science degree, however, I would feel uncomfortable teaching Calculus.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2006

Hi and welcome!

It really varies from one area to another. On Long Island NY, most areas are completely saturated. Math is one of the few exceptions. I returned as a math teacher in September (after 6 years home with my kids) and had several offers.

Most of my department would be uncomfortable with Calculus. In fact, when I went on a maternity leave in 2000, they got one of the Physics teachers to cover it for me-- and there were 10 teachers in the math department. So as long as you're comfortable with a variety of other courses, I would say you would be OK.

If you can get your hands on the help wanted ads from a local paper for May and June you would probably get a better idea of the status in your area.

Good luck!

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2006

Well, first of all, yes, there is no teachers shortage, but there are also a lot of teachers out there searching who are either not going to stay in this field for a long time (not to be negative, many just find that they are more suited in another career), or are not very good teachers (again, not to be negative). In my district, there are a ton of teachers who were hired because there really are no good ones out there (in our county, we do, in a way have a teacher shortage. Not a lot of good ones to choose from). Anyways, instead of focusing on where their be a little bit less applicants and less competition, focus on becoming a better teacher yourself. Find out where you feel most comfortable teaching, improve yourself in that area by resarching and talking to other teachers. It can be difficult getting a job, but you just need get your name out there. Mainly by subbing. Of course, I do know that junior high and high school usually have more need for teachers with math and science degrees, so of course there is a bit less competition there.
    It interested me to see that you're going for your computer science degree, yet are venturing into teaching maybe even elementary or special ed??? Is it due to the horrible job market for computer programers? My hubby was in that situtation and is now a sub. Good luck!

5. maroki

maroki Comrade

Dec 5, 2006

I live in Washington state, and in many districts that statistic you quoted was true.

The HS math and science teachers got snatched up before we finished student teaching in May...and many of the elementary teachers still don't have jobs. Some of the elementary teachers got multiple certifications, with their second cert. being in math or science, and almost all of them ended up working within their second certification. Around here, special education teachers are also in higher demand and get snatched up pretty quickly.

That being said, I would use your time subbing to figure out what grades/areas you are interested in teaching. I'd always known I was interested in K-2, so I never worked with many other grades, but a lot of my friends found their subbing experience invaluable, if only to help them decide which grade levels/subjects they preferred.

6. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Dec 6, 2006

In my district, there is a teacher shortage. That may be because the edict has come down that new hires must speak Spanish, even if teaching in an English-only classroom; it may also be because our district pays second to last in the area and doesn't offer benefits. Either way, we have a hard time filling positions.