How did you end up in the city you are currently living in?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jinkies, May 20, 2011.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 20, 2011

I always thought I'd move to AZ after graduation. I LOVE the heat and sun. But then I met dh and he was from the Bay area. I knew marrying him meant moving across the country so he could be near his parents (only child). But it was worth. I adore my new 'home'.

2. d12brown

d12brown Rookie

May 21, 2011

fell in love, moved away, still in love, got married, still in love, had babies, still in love, moved home, still in love, near babysitters for Date Nights! :)

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 21, 2011

I was applying to international schools in Mexico, and when offered my current position, this is where we came.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 21, 2011

My husband is in the military. We're at our second duty station now. I'm hoping after here that he either gets out or gets stationed back home, close to family.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 21, 2011

My husband got a job here. So here I am.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 21, 2011

After college I moved back home. My Grandmother moved into the same town as my parents (my Dad's an only child). She moved in next door to my future hubby. We met got married. He lost his job, found a job that moved us from Nebraska to Michigan. We lived in 1 town, not a great neigborhood. When dd was 2 yrs. old we started looking for a house. Based our decision on the schools. We've been in this house 17 years.

Yes, I'd like to move back to Nebraska, but not until ds is out of high school, then depending on where he goes to college, maybe not until after that.

Of course, the economy must improve for that to happen!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 21, 2011

Found our dream house here.
    We really live in the best place for us...we can be at the shore in a little over an hour, NYC in about 45 minutes, hike the Palisades with gorgeous views from the cliffs over the Hudson River, farmers markets minutes away every weekend. My neighborhood is tree lined and quiet, yet I can get into the city for Broadway, museums when I need 'a fix':)

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 21, 2011

I've always lived here! Well, almost always. The first 8 years of my life I lived on the Oklahoma side of our town. The we moved over into Arkansas. I went to college here, did my student teaching here, and now work in the school district here. It's a nice small town, and all of my mom's side of the family is here.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 21, 2011

I grew up a little south of Miami, FL. For personal reasons, I found myself looking for a job pretty nearly anywhere else. I found my current job, which required me to relocate to North Dakota. I'm quite happy here.

10. joe22k

joe22k Rookie

May 21, 2011

It was where I could find a job. I got hired about 12 hours from what had been "home" to me. My school is in a small town so I asked where all the teachers lived in my interview and the directed me to the neighboring county. I love the town I live in, but miss having family nearby.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 22, 2011

I have to do what's right for me & if the weather is that bad, in which I never want to live where there are hurricanes, tornadoes, heavy storms, etc., then I'll be willing to move away from family. And again, even if the weather's sunny, it depends on other life factors, but I won't move TO a bad weather location (probably) no matter what.

12. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

May 22, 2011

I did move to my current location for weather reasons. I grew up near Chicago and I remember just living for the summer. Unfortunately summer there is only around for the three months you'd suspect if you're lucky. Add in the humidity on the nice days and I couldn't even enjoy a lot of the summer days.

So when it came time to pick a college I applied in Arizona and Nevada. My husband (boyfriend at the time) and I packed up all our things and moved here. We've been here for 8 years now and we couldn't be happier. Summer starts earlier than the true summer months and ends much later. :cool: The only downside is being away from family but we make it work. We make trips back there as often as we can and we have family staying with us at least 3-4 times a year. It works for us.

You have to do what will make you happy. If the weather affects your mood that much (I know it does mine to some degree) then it is something you should at least consider. Weigh the pros and cons of a move.

13. XOEmmyLouOX

XOEmmyLouOX Rookie

May 23, 2011

I live in Northern Indiana and my BF and I are seriously talking of moving due to this. It is "summer like" 2-3 months out of the year if you are lucky - and the few days it is warm it is still usually cloudy/rainy. I NEED to get some more warmth and sun.. It is making me crazy!

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 23, 2011

In the past we have gone wherever we can get a job or if the job dictates. THIS time, however, we purposely applied for overseas jobs, while already having jobs, just for the adventure. We didn't make a pay increase with this move. He's actually been applying several years but when he had an offer previously, it was during the middle of my degree. Now wasn't the best timing either but considering he has only had 2 offers in the several years he has been applying, we took it this time. I didn't intend for me to stay home when we first started seeking this out, but that's how it has worked out. So far, I'm enjoying my time here.

15. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 23, 2011

For the most part, I've lived in the same area since I was a baby. I went to college in another state and moved back home. Got a job at my dream school, and have been back home ever since. I got married and moved a town away, but for the most part...I've never really left home.

My husband though is from PA, and came here via suburban DC. The story of how he got here is much more interesting.

I like where we live, but a lot of things factor into whether I see us here long term. Mainly my husband job and how much school budgets keep getting cut across the country.

16. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

May 23, 2011

I grew up in the tri-state area and went to undergraduate school in New England. Did my student teaching here, started applying to jobs as soon as I graduated and ended up with a job here. A lot of my college friends settled (at least temporarily) in the area and my roommate is a friend from college. I'm very happy here :) My boyfriend, however, just moved back to his home state about three hours away and we are about to embark on a new kind of relationship... we shall see how it all pans out!

17. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

May 31, 2011

Thank you all for responding! Some days I want to leave home and go back east but then other days I don't want to leave all of my family. Oh well I still have time to worry :). I hope everyone has a great summer!

18. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 31, 2011

We Lived in So Cal (LA) and my dad got transferred to NYC we lived on Long Island. My Dad and Mom retired and moved to AZ and I visited one Christmas and moved too. I am now the only one of my immediate family left so since my son is here in AZ so am I.