How did you do for September?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Texastoyz, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Rookie

Oct 2, 2013

Now that September has come and gone how did everyone do? I worked 8 days and one half day. I worked 2 and a half days at the high school I usually went to last year. I worked 6 days at a middle school that I hadn't gone to since April of 2012. I had taken it off the list of schools because I hated the administration. They called me about 3 times last year but I was always working at the high school. But I was not doing anything and calls weren't really coming my way so I took it. It was the actual bookkeeper.

She needed somebody for an English class. Apparently their teacher had left them after the first week. I was part of a long line of substitutes that they had. I was there 6 days. All of their other subs had only lasted 2 days at the most. They were arranged in two period blocks. It was ELA/Reading, where there was a co-teacher as one of the students was labeled Special Education. Enrichment was the 3rd period and just really consisted of me reading from selections of Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul. Then in 4th/5th period it was ELA/Reading GT this class was good but a bit loud at times. Then lunch was mixed in with Advisory for 20 minutes which consisted of the students reading more. Then the last two period block were the most unruly bunch but after a while they mellowed. They wanted me to be their teacher since I had been their longer than their own teacher. This middle school had 9 periods. The ninth one was my conference and you had to do library duty during that time. This stint ended last Wednesday and then nothing until today, October 2nd.

So how did you all do? Before taxes, I made $722.50. That's $722.50 more than what I made last year at this time. In August, I made only $42.50 for one four hour job in the last week in August that the district went back to school. But then again that's $42.50 more than I made last August, so you have to put things in perspective, :cool:.

3. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Oct 4, 2013

Great September

Worked 17 of 20 days (that includes 2 half days and 1 lower paid aide day). The three days were taken off for doctor apps. I just realized that is awesome!

4. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Oct 4, 2013

Opps sorry! I counted cancelled days so 13 days out of 20. I thought I had a few more days off than just those 3 doctor apps. Not as impressive but still good. We started using WillSub this year and I sincerely dislike it.

5. subteacher8608

subteacher8608 Rookie

Oct 5, 2013

I worked every day in September (with the obvious exception of Labor Day). :) I did take one half day for a doctor's appointment, but I could have worked the whole day if not for that appointment!

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 6, 2013

It was our first month of school, and there was 2 1/2 weeks of school. I worked 5 days but I also took a vacation for a week of that time.

7. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Rookie

Oct 6, 2013

Wow, I wish I had some of you all's schedules! :spitwater:

8. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Oct 16, 2013

I'm in a new state that uses a contractor for all subs and it's been a major pain in the rear. I've been doing paperwork since August and I *just* got approved for one district. Of course, I'm enrolled in 4 districts, so I'm getting AESOP alerts, but I'm only allowed to work in one right now. So the 5 AM phone calls are a huge let down! And the district I can work in hasn't has a single posting all week. It's probably because they are better at using preferred subs, but it's driving me batty! Glad I got jobulator- it'll be nice when I can actually use it......

Sounds like some of you are working a lot!

9. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Oct 27, 2013

I worked 17 days. Was supposed to be 18.5, but my son was sick one day and wires got crossed one day so a job I thought I had went to someone else. All the jobs were by request (scheduled ahead of time) from the teacher or school except for one.

October looks good, too. Twenty-one days, all but 4 by personal request.

10. El sol

El sol Rookie

Oct 28, 2013

Worked every day for Sept. Landed an LTS before the start of the school year. :)