How Bad are these New Observations for CCSS?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WindyCityGal606, Feb 12, 2013.

1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2013

:eek: although I;m tenured and my observation won't count this year, I'm still stressed because it is so nit picky and everything must have evidence. They are looking at us to observe not only instruction but everything that leads to it and comes from it..planning and assessment results. And that's just one component. The other three are professional development, classroom environment, and something else that I can't even remember right now because I try real hard not to think about this too much or I get nervous. Don't get me wrong...I do everything just fine but to be put under the microscope like this is nerve wrecking!

Does anyone else have similar concerns, fears, doubts?:confused:

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 12, 2013

yes, today was my post observation meeting. I was so worried last night I went to bed at 7:00 crying my eyes out. I was so stressed. Then at my meeting everything went very good. I was overall happy with the results. I know that I am not perfect, so I agree with the two areas that I need to improve. I also appreciate all the kind things that she said about me.

4. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Feb 12, 2013

Our new evaluations are CRAZY. Don't even want to talk about it! :(

5. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Feb 12, 2013

Just further persecution of the classroom teacher.

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Feb 12, 2013

For what it's worth I'd say this has less to do with CCSS and administrative procedures surrounding the new standards. The standards are like every other set of standards a state would have that sets certain academic expectations at given points in time - it doesn't specify evaluation procedures, teacher accountability, etc. I know that's not the main point of your post, but thought I would throw that out there before this turned into an anti-CCSS thread.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 12, 2013

As a member of our district RttT committee, I will be going to the three day training required of all principals. I hope to have more info after that.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2013

We have a new eval system (Marshall), but it's not linked to CCSS.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Feb 12, 2013

We also have a new evaluation system (Compass), but it's not linked to CCSS either - ours just happened to "arrive" in the same year. I have tenure, but according to our new eval system, it only takes one "unsatisfactory" evaluation for me to lose it. 2 and I lose my job. I bust my a$$, so I'm not really worried about that, but it's stressful just the same.

10. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Feb 12, 2013

Ours isn't linked to CC either.

11. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Comrade

Feb 13, 2013

"I have tenure, but according to our new eval system, it only takes one "unsatisfactory" evaluation for me to lose it. 2 and I lose my job."
    Isn't this exactly what tenure was supposed to stop? The chance that one principal who does not like you can sink your job with one or two evaluations? Then it isn't really tenure anymore, right? Sigh...

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2013

We too have a new evaluation. It is definitely been a scary shift in our school especially because we are laying off this year. But we trust our P, so hopefully it will be a more useful tool than what we used in the past.

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2013

In our evaluation, if you receive an unsatisfactory, you should be let go. To get an unsatisfactory, you really need to have an unsafe or harmful classroom. Teachers who receive this rating should not be in the classroom regardless of tenure.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Fanatic

Feb 13, 2013

Ours isn't tied to CCSS - it's still tied to FCAT. We have Marzano. My district did such a horrible job implementing it last year that our final eval scores were thrown out.

I wonder how that will affect all of the people job searching - not having an evaluation one year?

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Fanatic

Feb 13, 2013

Ours isn't CCSS, but it is all evidence based and isn't just on your lessons. It includes things like parent contact. I've been pleased with it to be honest. I like that the evaluator has to have evidence for each category and doesn't just rank based on what they're feeling. We have two evaluations a year and four observations. My first one went well and I've had one observation out of two for my second one and am not super concerned.

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Feb 14, 2013

That's what happens when you have a governor who hates public schools and teachers. :mad:

17. waterfall

waterfall Phenom

Feb 14, 2013

Our new ones are being implemented next year. We haven't had a training on it yet but our admin was saying that it's a 40 paged singled spaced document and must be done for every single teacher four times a year. I can't even imagine!

18. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Feb 14, 2013

What is CCSS?

19. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Feb 14, 2013

Common Core State Standards

20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 15, 2013