How are you decorating your room this year?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by runnerss, Jul 4, 2009.

1. ATeach

ATeach New Member

Jul 14, 2009

I'm looking for ideas for my room too. The coffee shop theme sounds awesome! I don't have much room since I have 35 kids, but would you tell me more about your room?

In the past I have done a sunflower/garden theme, apples, and this past year I didn't really have a central theme.

2. kdavid5

kdavid5 New Member

Jul 17, 2009

Classroom theme; Travel Agency

This year I will be teaching a combo class with both fifth and sixth graders. I have decided to decorate my room like a travel agency since both grades are working on geography. My fifth graders will be agents for the United States since they are doing US History and my sixth graders will be "agents" for international travel since they are learning World Cultures. They will also be able to earn "money" through their classroom jobs to by gas and plane tickets to "travel" to different places.

It is still in the works but this was what I thought could apply to both grade levels and tie into their curriculum.

3. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

I love it! That sounds so fun! And think about a behavior system...frequent flyer miles or something!

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2009

I do the travel theme, also, though I am looking for a comfortable way to set up my classroom library (if I have room). I'll see. I have twenty-five students this coming year, and I am getting rid of my teacher's desk. You all have great ideas.

5. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

My problem is I had this class for 1st grade and again last year while we departmentalized ( I taught Math/Bible) now I have them for 5th grade (all day). Our school is smallish so they have experienced the travel, sports, jungle, and rain forest themes. Someone else is using the hollywood/movie theme.

I am leaning on doing an Extreme Sports theme with a beachy twist. A little tropical stuff mixed in with a bunch of posters using inspirational quotes. Really Good Stuff has a poster & stuff that says "Challenge yourself to succeed"!

I have bought a couple of bubble chairs (neon green and bright orange) and lap desks for the kids to use as special rewards (thinking homeworkopoly) and I have some bamboo beach mats.

I am sort of all over the place with this. I'll take any ideas you all have!

6. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 18, 2009

I am going to continue with my sports theme... love the whole concept of TEAM. I bought a couple of new things to add to the ambiance of the room. I can't get back into my classroom until after the first week in August. That week (though) I will be on vacation at the late. SO... I will be going in to work on room set-up late on the weekend of Aug 15/16 or will start on Monday only 1 week before school starts on the 24th for my professional development. YIKES.. once I laid it out like that, our summer is going TOO quickly! Uggghhh...

7. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

I developed the coffee shop theme at the end of this past year because I noticed that my 5th graders were wanting to be treated a little bit older. It is really hard to do that when you are in a building with lower grades. I decided that I could at least make my room into a place where it wasn't too young but fun. There is no underlying message or hidden meaning. That is thinking way too much into it. It is just simply a place for kids to be comfortable and relaxed. I am personally not putting up coffee signs because that is not something that they are usually into at this age. I am taking the colors, furniture, and overall feel you will find in a coffee shop. Also, if a parent gets mad because of this I am not too worried. They will probably also the parent that will get mad over every little thing I do.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2009

I understand the gist of your theme and love it. :)

It's kind of how youth pastors set up areas for their youth groups, also- like a "basement" or "coffee shop"-like feel, and it's not just a plain room. Hmm, neat idea- maybe I'll find some good pictures of their rooms online, too, for inspiration...

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

I found some neat zebra print magazine holders at Cost World Market (something like that), and have taken off with that. School colors are red and black, so all the bulletin boards will be black fabric (some with tiny pattern) and zebra borders, or paw print borders (We're the Wildcats), and splashes of red.

I found an inexpensive ($60) large area rug that has a zebra print. Paper for the School to Home Folders that has a zebra print with a dash of red at Office Depot.

I'm not changing everything to black, white, red and zebra print! I have green and blue desk caddies that aren't going anywhere. And I think I'm sticking to the pencil thing on the outside bulletin board. (Described earlier.)

Just finished making some posters for the math board and I printed with black ink onto white copy paper, then put a red border around each one.

Any ideas for titles? I'm only teaching writing and math this year.

10. sciencet

sciencet Rookie

Jul 19, 2009

For the past few years I have used a racing theme. With a new team this year, I decided that this was a good time for a new theme.

Since I am going to be teaching fifth grade science and health I am thinking of either an oceans theme or a jungle/safari theme since we study environments/habitats/biomes. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

11. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 19, 2009

You could do the different ecosystems.

12. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 24, 2009

For those of you doing "coffee themes" don't forget to post pictures. I just read through this whole thread in hopes that on page 9, I would find a link to see them. :) Anxiously awaiting.....sounds like a fun theme.

13. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 24, 2009

katenar...I have to wait until after August 3 to post pictures...my school has a ton of furniture in my room (that's not mine) and the carpets have to be cleaned. But I will post them after August 3!

14. caslan

caslan Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

Mine isn't done, and I haven't gotten to "theme-y" yet... not really sure what I'm going to do. No room for couches :( so I'm using large throw pillows about 3x3 (instead of beanbags b/c I hate the sound that beanbags make :) and I have chili-pepper curtains I made last year, so I'll be making red/black pillowcases for the pillows... I think I'll buy some hazel/coffee candles (which I can't burn, but they smell good anyway) and some dollar store coffee cups to put coffee beans in (for aroma, also) maybe christmas lights in the reading area. I think my wall decor will be "book posters (where can I get some???) and quotes from authors about writing... other than that, I'm leaving my walls pretty bare so that I can hang anchor charts for reading/writing workshop! Any other ideas are more than welcome :)

15. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

Calling all Coffee shop theme people---

At my Walmart and on Ebay there are quite a few coffee shop style posters.

The walmart posters were by the frames, they start at $1.