How are you decorating your room this year?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by runnerss, Jul 4, 2009.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 12, 2009

First let me say that I'm jealous of all the room you guys seem to have. I am not going to focus on that though because I am going to be a brand new teacher in a brand new classroom so I'm counting my blessings.

I love the coffee theme too but my first thought was this...

Coffee is an addictive adult drink. Are we promoting that? I agree though that the atmosphere in a coffee house is relaxing. My question is how can we indulge in this theme without risking a parent getting mad at the underlying message and promotion of "coffee?" Just wondering.

2. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

cutNglue, I see your point, but I think in one way or another we expose our kids to societal ills throughout their schooling. Television (or showing movies in class), candy (as rewards and for parties), highly processed "food" stuff (lunch), and unhealthy beverages. I know I certainly drink coffee in my classroom (in the mornings).

I am focusing more on the feel of the room. I want it comfy like my favorite coffee shop. I could very easily not mention the who coffee shop thing. Hopefully it does not become an issue with parents.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2009

My room stays essentially the same- I'm not going to plunk a lot of money into new decor every year...the kids are new, they haven't been through the 2nd grade experience with me yet- it's exciting enough, I don't need to change decor to keep the kids jazzed...that said, I do keep things fresh, colorful and neat...if things get worn out, I replace them...I'm getting a SmartBoard installed- that's cool and exciting...I do a begining of the year theme for my back to school letter and first week of school activities and bulletin board...Stay enthusiastic and passionate about what you do, connect with the kids and love them...it doesn't matter what your decor is as long as you create a classroom community based on respect and belonging, foster feelings of connectedness, contribution and capability, and deliver a strong curriculum...

4. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 12, 2009

I'm teaching 5th grade next year...

I am thinking I will do a starry night theme. This will allow me to put a small tent in the corner for one student to enjoy at a time and a few small sleeping bags to sit upon for spreading out. I will have some kind of tarp/sheet with the constellations painted over the reading/tent area. I will have a moon somewhere in the classroom too. I am going to paint/construct a large sunset outside the classroom over the door.

will certainly do the glow in the dark paint/stickers for the times when the lights go off.

Not sure what else I'll do to add to the theme. I am going to keep the theme for several years so I dont mind putting extra work into it. Feel free to offer any suggestions.

I may go all out with the camping under the stars theme (bring in more of the camping idea than just the night sky idea.) Any thoughts?

5. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 12, 2009

cutNglue, i had the same thoughts as you about the coffeehouse thing... I'm going for the hip, comfy vibe but won't be putting coffee paraphernalia anywhere. Then again, I'm anti-McDonald's and the terrible hot Cheetos that my kids eat daily, and they're well aware of that, so having coffee signs wouldn't make any sense in my room. But honestly, I don't know that seeing signs in the classroom would be solely responsible for making my kids want to drink coffee... the sugary goodness of Frappuccinos and popularity of Starbucks seem to have taken care of that already.

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

ummm.... what's the hot Cheetos thing? That sounds good.

(I know. You are going to refuse to tell me.)

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

oh hot cheetos is about the only chips my kids will eat - they love them. I think they are gross - and stain your fingers

8. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

I am not a fan of hot cheetos, but I do love the hot Lays. Same thing, but on chips!

9. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

Flaming hot cheetos are bright red and spicy/tangy kind of like those Andy Capps Hot Fries from the 80s. They also make them with lime... and although I do love me some junk food from time to time, most of my students eat a big bag of them at least 3 times a week AT SCHOOL which is just ridiculous. I have to explicitly say no hot Cheetos for parties otherwise we'll get a dozen bags. They're crazy about 'em...

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 13, 2009

Of course I don't think putting coffee pictures in a classroom will inspire kids to drink it, and if this was high school I might have had a different response. All I know is a parent in my school complained once because I drank diet coke in my classroom. I had ZERO kids in my classroom at the time and the parent that complained was in a classroom across the hall. Apparently being able to see it from another classroom across the hall was enough. So consider that experience as part of the basis of me asking that question. Personally, coffee image aside, I like the atmosphere each of you are working to create within that theme.

11. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

really??? sometimes i think parents will find any excuse to give teachers a hard time!

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 13, 2009

YEP!

13. caslan

caslan Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

I don't see the coffee shop theme as encouraging students to drink coffee... It's more the atmosphere that I'm going for, comfortable, relaxing, think barnes and noble.. That's a place you just WANT to go sit on a couch and curl up with a good book, which is EXACTLY what I want my students to get from my classes. I seriously don't think any parents will have an issue with it; the parents in my area have a lot bigger fish to fry and the kids definitely have larger issues than coffee drinking :) I like the idea, and I'm going to run with it ;)

14. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

Caslan you took the words from my mouth!!! I cannot wait to see pictures from everyones' rooms. I will take some by the end of this week, hopefully. I am waiting for my camera battery charger and my super-cool chinese lantern lights to come in the mail.

This is such a fun way to plan a classroom. Many of us doing the same thing, but it comes off as unique! I appreciate the help and tips.

Last year, my room was not nearly as cool and my room is going to be this year, and parents still came into the room and were amazed with its comfort and warmth. My room will ooze warmth this year!

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

OK Now I know what hot Cheetos are. I can't stand them. One of my students gave a bag to me last year after school and I ate one Cheetoh and about died.

I have no idea what I was thinking, except I was hungry! I was picturing hot melted cheese dripping over something.....