How are you decorating your room this year?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by runnerss, Jul 4, 2009.

1. ParaPacker

ParaPacker Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

Ohh I am so jealous! I brought in a bookshelf last year with some contact paper on it and the custodian made me take is home because it was not school approved. I can't even tell you what he said when we put up Christmas Lights!!! :eek:

HOWEVER - that doesn't stop me. I am going to take your coffee shop idea and see what I can do. Thanks for all the GREAT ideas!!! I love it.:thumb:

2. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 10, 2009

Well, I'm glad the coffee shop theme is a big hit. I worked on my room today but never brought the camera. I will probably wait until I get it all done. I should really be able to do some major work on it on Tuesday since it will be cleaned by then.

Another theme that would be cool is a Rock N' Roll theme.

3. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

I'm working with 3rd/4th/5th graders this year...how would they do with a hollywood/movie theme? I found a bunch of cute things from trend and www.hollywoodmegastore.com. I also bought a banner from oriental trading which looks like a old time movie theatre entrance with the words "Now Showing...Mrs. ________ 4th Grade Stars." I am decorating with film strip borders, gold stars, and popcorn accents. Does anyone know where to get a directors chair for cheap? I also need help thinking of a discipline plan to go along with this theme. Any ideas?

4. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

That's a great idea!!!! I think they would love it :)

5. ParaPacker

ParaPacker Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

Movie theme

Oh this is a fun one :)

For classroom jobs you could have Theater or actor jobs. Leading Lady, Stunt Double, Prop director, Ticket holder, Concessions, Animal Trainer, ...

For discipline, you could do movie tickets (red, green, yellow). You could do an economy system where they have to buy or spend tickets for missing homework, behavior, or what have you. They could also earn tickets or money if they do something good.

The class could work towards a movie day/popcorn party. They could also write letters to their favorite actor/actress and see if they get a reply back. That would be a very awesome reward!

Enjoy.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2009

I'm thinking about getting rid of my individual student desks and having tables instead. I like that I could move the tables out of the way easily for more room when needed. Also, we are departmentalized and I get so tired of dealing with "My pencil sharpener is gone from my desk!" --or other such madness! Our kids each have their own full-length lockers in the hallway so they can keep their stuff there. It would also stop my desk-diggers from being off task. Has anyone every taught with tables and no desks? I'm 5th BTW.

7. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 11, 2009

I love that idea!! I echo the idea of the movie tickets for your behavior plan. You can get raffle tickets (in many colors) for cheap at WalMart or a Party Store (Party City). Party City also has cheap Hollywood themed stuff (we used it for our musical). Maybe try Ikea, Big Lots, or Bed, Bath, & Beyond for the chair. :D

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 11, 2009

I teach 22 sections & like the flexibility of tables. I have 1 table that seats up to 8 and 4 tables that seat up to 6. They can also squeeze in another chair if they need to. I can group the students easier by just having them move to different seats. The only issue is the student who cannot handle being by others & needs separated. I would keep a few desks (or small tables) for those students. You also need to establish firm expectations with students facing you when you're talking. With tables some seats/ students will have their back facing you. I called those seats "special" and told the classes I needed the most responsible students sitting there. I told them anytime I was speaking they needed to turn towards me. :)

9. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

Movie Theme

Thanks for the behavior ticket ideas. I don't have an Ikea or Big Lots near me, but I'll definitely check Bed Bath and Beyond for the chair!

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2009

I'm going to tables this year since we're departmentalizing. I don't want to deal with the "missing" items and "someone put trash in my desk".

As far as I know, I'm teaching 3 sections of writing and one of math. I'm not going with an all-out theme since I'm on a tight budget this year. Wish I could go nuts. The coffee house theme sounds like fun, and I love the math boot camp idea.

But I do have colorful pencils that list the six stages of writing, a huge long pencil that says "Welcome", and I've got the hall bulletin board figured out.

I'm going to use black paper (already have), and use different colored bright fabric paint to write their names in cursive all over the paper. I'm just going to cover the board with all the names in fifth grade (around 60) and add some splotches of paint here and there. Then put the Welcome pencil up over the board. Simple.

So perhaps it's a pencil theme???

11. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 11, 2009

I had tables last year for 5th grade. I loved it. It made it easier to do group work. I made sure to have a couple desks or small tables for kids who prefer to sit alone or for "time-out" areas. Even as 5th graders, I had a couple students who were like, "Hey, I cannot control my mouth, can I sit by myself?"

12. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

I have often thought of using tables instead of desks. How did it work for classroom mgmt.? How did you keep them from cheating? Did they get in each others way? Did you have to listen to "His stuff is on my side!!" a lot?

We actually have an extra room this year, and I was thinking about using it from time to time to try out the table thing.

13. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

When we gave tests, I would give the students a manila folder to give them "privacy"

14. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

I was able to use tables from the science lab last year for a special activity and I LOVED it. If I could get my hands onto some I would use them in a heart beat. Management wasn't any different then if you put them in groups. I gave them folders during test and monitored closely like usual.

15. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 12, 2009

I saw some small paintings that were coffee related at our local Walmart and I also thought you could look in the wallpaper border section. They will have some coffee themed things there.