How are you decorating your room this year?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by runnerss, Jul 4, 2009.

1. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

I know I have said it before, but I am doing a coffee shop theme with the colors, furniture, and lighting. I am going Monday to start decorating and will take some pics and post monday. Share your ideas?

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 4, 2009

I'm so excited to see you pictures. If I had money to spend I would run with this theme :)

4. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

I hear i ya. I am spending minimal. I got a couch in pretty good shape for $20. It is fairly new and had a tear in it from a dog. I think I can cover it up pretty easily. I am getting burlap sack to cover the bulletin boards for cheap and I got tulle to use as a border for really cheap on ebay. I also got an idea from another teacher to put table cloths on the board. I am now trying to find christmas lights to put on the ceiling. That might be the most expensive thing.

5. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 4, 2009

My whole school is doing "dive into learning" so I went with the beach/ocean/fish thing. It is terribly cute, or was until I had to move the last of my stuff in there ;) I'm heading in Monday to see if I can finish organizing and then I'll take some pics.

I love the idea of a coffee shop - especially if you are a language arts teacher, very Barnes and Noble-y!

Christmas lights - my dollar store has them - clear you might want to check :)

6. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

The ocean theme seems like a great idea. There is so much you can do with that.
    Thanks for the tip on the christmas lights!
    My class moto will be " A fresh place to start" I thought it fit well with the coffee shop them, but I also like what it stands for. My kids always bring in personal baggage into the room which keeps them from learning. They also bring in educational baggagel. They think that they were bad in math the year before so they will be bad again. I want them to know that no matter what happens outside the room my my room will be a "fresh place to start".

7. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 4, 2009

I am doing a nature theme. It just seems to tie in well since I teach three classes of science, one of social studies, and one of writing.

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 4, 2009

That sounds very cool! :cool: Even the McDonald's have changed to the cafe look.

9. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

There is just something relaxing about it.

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2009

I don't really have a theme, but this year I have a lot of the new "dot" series I found at the teacher store. I really liked it. I also painted a wall in my room to a really pretty blue color.

[​IMG] (dots I mentioned above)

11. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

LOVE IT!!! They also have paper made of that design.

12. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

That would tie in really well. I bet the kids will love it!

Okay, we need to make sure we put up pics when we start. :thumb:

I am starting Monday just because my summer is about to get really busy soon.

13. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

I began teaching just last semester and I have no teaching degree so this is all new to me, but I'm planning on color-coding subjects in my classroom next year. I'll have an area for each subject and a "mock bulletin board" for each subject (our rooms only have one small bulletin board, so we just create our own with borders, poster board, and tape). I'm covering storage boxes in contact paper with respective colors. I have colored review index cards for a couple of subjects.

I wanted to keep it simple. Maybe next year I'll try a theme for the whole room. That sounds way too daunting right now though.

I'm still trying to come up with ideas for bulletin board titles if you can think of any. Here are my subjects and colors:

Reading (red)
    Writing (purple)
    Math (yellow)
    Science/Health (green)
    History/Geography (blue)
    Spelling (orange)
    Art--I'm thinking "creation station" for this one. Corny?
    (my co-teacher teaches Language)

14. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 6, 2009

I know it's fifth grade, but I still like to do a theme. I am going to use frogs this year. I teach in a Catholic school, so I can use the theme "Freely (or fully) rely on God." I am already working on my website to make it all 'froggy.'

15. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 6, 2009

Have you seen the border that says that? I had it a few years ago when I was in Catholic Schools. It was super cute!!! It said F.R.O.G. in big letters and then fully rely on God next to it. Then it had frog pics. It was reds & purples. :D

16. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 6, 2009

CMW - No but I will definately be on the lookout for it now! Thanks!