Housekeeping Tips for Harried Teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by holliday, Jul 15, 2007.

1. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

I'm just glad that housekeeping isn't (yet) a content standard. If it were, I'd be pink-slipped even with my recently acquired tenure!!!

2. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

Not to step on any toes, here....but as I've read through these posts, I haven't seen ANYONE mention what "dad" does!! (This is for those of you with kids and a husband, obviously!) I KNOW there are some great dads out there who pitch in as they rightly should....right??

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

My hoosband (who is a dad to our completely spoiled dogs) takes care of a lot of stuff around the house. He does the laundry, empties the dishwasher, takes out the dogs, takes out the garbage, makes sure that our cars are in good repair and filled with gas, does general straightening, and takes care of most of the bills.

I do the vacuuming, general straightening, filling the dishwasher, the heavy-duty cleaning, and most of the cooking.

It's a nice split for us because we both get to do the things we like to do or don't mind doing. I like to do the things he hates doing, and vice versa.

4. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

YAY! I love hearing about super-husbands like yours, Cassie! It is wonderful to know that a lot of guys know this stuff is just stuff that needs to get done!! (A lot of 'em don't!) Thanks for sharing...I worried that I was being offensive.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 16, 2007

My husband empties the dishwasher, helps fold and put away clothes, vacuums, and generally helps "pick-up" on Sundays. Sometimes when he works a lot he does less, when I have a lot going on, he picks up the slack. I do however do pretty much all of the cooking, but I love to cook. He will get take-out or heat something from the freezer :)

6. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

how do ya'll find a happy medium with your husbands about the cooking? my boyfriend and i live together. we're going to get married next year. but he's about 9 years older than me and has lived by himself for awhile. (ie. he's set in his ways and how he likes his stuff cooked) anyways... did ya'll have any problems with this? how did you deal with it? o!!! and does anyonehas a great way to mask the smell of a litter box?

7. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Lucky for us, my hubby does 99% of the cooking (though I'm actually making an orange chicken stir fry tonight). He also does most of the errands & grocery shopping, cleans house - even vacuums, and picks up the doggie doo from the yard.
    When I go back to work in Aug. he'll watch the baby during the day & I'll take over at night so we won't need daycare.

I'm blessed and I couldn't ask for a more helpful, *domestic* husband. Thanks for the chance to brag!

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

The happy medium for us is that we decide together what we want to have and then I make it. He will make it if I ask him to, but he doesn't usually initiate the cooking. This setup is fine with me because he does initiate other household tasks.

I will say, though, that if my hoosband had a problem with the way I cooked something, I'd tell him to cook it himself in the future. I'm not a short order cook.

As for the litterbox, you probably just need to change it more often than you do. A litterbox shouldn't smell like anything other than the litter crystals.

9. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

teaching-n-2: I'm not a cat person (sorry!) but I have a dwarf hamster...sometimes I let the cage go a little too long. But I can only do that because I buy a packet of stuff sold for small animal cages that look like rock salt. I'm out right now, so can't tell you what it's called, but it really does work (underneath the cedar shavings I use) to help keep the odor down longer! I'm guessing it might be something to try underneath your usual litter.

10. Teaching Grace

Jul 16, 2007

gotcha... my boyfriend works all the time. and i'm preg so i can't touch the litter. i just don't want to be too naggy about asking him to change it repeatedly.
    i'd cook what we both want, if we could agree, and if he didn't critize...i guess it'd be easier if he didn't like to cook too :) and if he wasn't so darn good at it! lol

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I don't think it qualifies as being naggy if it's for the health and safety of your unborn baby! :p

12. Teaching Grace

Jul 16, 2007

hmm... i could use that in my hamster cage.. i need to change his cage too :) he likes to hole himself up in the top little observation deck of his house. he hardly ever comes down b/c of our new kittens waiting to get a lick.. umm look at him :)

13. Teaching Grace

Jul 16, 2007

lol cassie! tell that to the guy who's hung sheetrock, pulled wires, and wire an entire building for 12 hours a day, then came home to finish up the nursery. he's so tired all the time, i hate to bug him with nagging... but yeah...it needs a schedule :)

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

Tn2, if the cat's litter box is toooooo stinky, some cats resort to telling you in "cat language." In other words, by using your pillow or slipper as a litter box. Maybe it's anthropomorphism, but if your kitty figures out that the new baby had anything to do with a decline in his personal care, he may be hard to get along with once your baby is born. Yeah, I am serious, because I've seen furbabies have sibling rivalry with human babies before. Stranger than fiction!

Costco sells a 12 lb bag of baking soda. Generously sprinking that over the soiled litter absorbs lots of odor. That might help!

15. Teaching Grace

Jul 16, 2007

yikes! don't want them to take it out on the baby. we've only had the kittens for about a month. they're so cute :) but i'll definitely take some baking soda to the kitty litter. that way it'll at least smell less :)