Housekeeping Tips for Harried Teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by holliday, Jul 15, 2007.

1. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

Anyone got timesaver tips for household stuff that could make life easier when we go back to school?

My mother-in-law showed me something helpful today:

For pants/skirts that you pull out of the dryer and don't want to have to iron later, make your own clip hangers out of clothes pins and regular clothes hangers (the kind you buy with the built-on clips are kind of expensive). It works great! Then you don't get any wrinkles or creases from folding and hanging the clothes.
    ---I REALLY hate to iron!:)

Any other labor-saving ideas out there?

3. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

flylady

Do a yahoo group search for flylady (they have a flylady for teachers too (on organizing and keeping clutter from our classroms!) Flylady is an organizational process that helps manage clutter and cleaning around the house.

Another board that I belonged to did a modified flylady (flylady send a lot of e-mails)-I do a modified version-anyway we assigned points to the tasks and competed against each other. I loved it (I'm slightly competitive :angel: )

I'd be willing to start it up here if others are interested in it.

4. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

That sounds really great! I just had a baby and feel like I'm barely keeping up with all the chores...and this is when I have all day to do them! I can't imagine what kind of Bermuda Triangle my house is going to turn into come August...I'd love a discussion on ways to save time and/or money around the house or classroom.

Flylady sounds like fun!

5. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 15, 2007

I buy enough food for the week on Sunday & prepare dinners and lunches in individual portions that I can grab, heat up, and eat. My husband and I are on opposite schedules, so this works for the nights we're not eating together.

For example, today, I cooked two packages of bacon, and sliced four fresh tomatoes and a head of lettuce. I can have the fixings for BLTs for lunch for the next couple of days. Sometimes I'll cook a pot of chili and a pot of spaghetti sauce (a lot of the ingredients are similar), then freeze half of each batch in individual tupperware containers, and put the rest in the fridge in individual containers. I'll make a couple containers that are enough for my husband & I to share. Then when I have a late night, I can just pop some chili in the fridge, change into my pjs, and voila! dinner is done. :)

6. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

Do you want to start in August or now?

7. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 15, 2007

I did flylady too, but it is a LOT of e-mails. However, I kept up with several of the principles and it made a huge difference. One thing I do is that every time I walk through the house (one room to another) I take something with me and put it where it goes on the way. Another thing is having a package of cleaning wipes everywhere you use them (not just one set per house). I have clorox wipes in the kitchen and each of the bathrooms - it is a lot less of a chore to wipe the counters off once or twice a week with the wipes right there rather than getting them from another room. I also keep a package of windex wipes in each bathroom for the same thing.
    * Let your cleaning products sit - this is a big deal for showers/tubs, toilets, and stove/ranges. The cleaners need to sit for a while to actually work, it can make the difference between scrubbing and just rinsing stuff off.

9. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

One thing I do that seems so silly but works so well, the presoaped wash cloths that ladies have, like Dove, once I have washed my face I use them to clean my sink and hubbies sink, the faucets shine better than with anything else and I don't feel so bad about using it once and tossing it!

10. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2007

Most people probably already do this, but spraying the shower down with one of those daily sprays really saves time come bathroom cleaning day. I have been doing it daily and I have noticed a bit difference in the way the shower looks!

A great way to get out and go in the morning is to have clothes, bags and lunches ready to go....I am no a morning person and it is so helpful to know that I can literally "get up and go."

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2007

I thought I was the only one! :D

12. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I keep diluted vineager in a spray bottle. It's magic!

I spray the inside of the microwave and turn on for half a minute and it cleans better than anything else I've ever tried.

Spray on counters -bathroom and kitchen

I use it on my sink to keep the metal looking nice (buff with paper towel)

I even sprayed a nasty spider I couldn't reach (behind the fridge) and it died!

I clean my mirrors and windows with it

All-on-all, it is great stuff and ultra cheap!

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I've heard of this before. Does it smell like vinegar when you're done cleaning? If it does, I think I'd prefer to have a dirty house!

14. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

oh yes, it does smell like vinegar. blech. i like to use lysol.

15. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I have four kids and so I have a lot of EVERYTHING to do.

Some of the things I do that helps me stay on top of everything are to start a load of laundry in the morning when I get up and pop it in the dryer as soon as it is done. I do the same thing as soon as I get home from school. (I usually do two loads a day. I can't stand to have a full hamper.)

I also try to prepare a crockpot meal or something easy so that it is done when we all get home.

I empty the dishwasher at night and set out the breakfast items I am fixing so I don't have to dig it out in the morning. (I am NOT a morning person!!) I make a lot of muffins. I can stir those together and get them in the oven, jump in the shower, and then the muffins are done. Then I wake up the kids and they can eat while I do hair and make-up.

I make tentative menus and shop for about two weeks at a time. That way I'm not wasting time after school running by the store.

I do mopping and stuff like that on the weekend. But at least I keep up with laundry and the basics.

Also, I do all of my ironing on Sunday evenings while I watch T.V.

My kids MUST have their clothes out before they go to bed. Saves a TON of time in the morning!!

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Muffins in the morning... that's a great idea! Do you use those packages of muffin mix (like the Krusteaz brand), or do you make them from scratch?

17. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Making muffins from scratch is just as easy as making them from a mix if you have all of your ingredients on hand. You could even save more time by mixing your dry ingredients at night and then throwing in the wet ones and the fruit (frozen blueberries are awesome; you don't have to thaw them) in the morning.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I can totally do that! Woot!

19. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Speaking of muffins, one thing I like to do is make meatloaf, but instead of putting it in a loaf pan, I divide it into muffins. THen it's easy to serve individual portions or throw a couple on a bun for a sandwich. Plus, they're kind of cute!

20. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

If the vinegar smell really bothered you you could probably put a drop of essential oil in (just shake well). I find it doesn't really bother me except in the bathroom, where the smell can't dissipate quickly.

21. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I do the mixes where I only add the milk or milk and eggs. But I guess it wouldn't take that long to do them from scratch.

Still, for me, ripping open a package and stirring in milk is about all I can do that early in the morning! :p