Hope to become a Teacher one day!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by futureteacher13, Sep 20, 2014.

1. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Sep 20, 2014

I've always wanted to become a teacher since I was very little! With that said, I received my BA degree three years ago as of yesterday. My degree is in Social Science with Education Concentration.
    I've been a paraprofessional for the past 5 years! I love every moment I get to spend with the awesome students I work with each day. They are amazing! By the way, I work with middle schoolers, which can be tough at times, but they are a joy to work with! My goal is to become an elementary school teacher, preferably teaching 4th or 5th graders! I've worked with students at both the elementary and middle school levels!
    I didn't have the opportunity to student teach because of my job and I completed my entire degree online through Ashford University. My goal is to one day work on getting a Master's degree in Elementary Education, which I know will be a very difficult thing to do while I'm teaching, but it can be done.
    I currently live in Florida. I would love to know from any elementary teachers if my experience as a paraprofessional benefit me greatly when I become a teacher one day. I know that teaching is very different from being a paraprofessional. I took my Florida Teacher Certification Exam in Elementary Education K-6 this past Summer and passed 3 out of 4 sections, with my having to retake the Science portion, which I'm planning on doing very soon. I also am planning on retaking the General Knowledge test and taking the Professional Education test as well. Once I pass the EE K-6 test, I will qualify for a Temporary Certificate to teach elementary school.
    I'm a team player, work well with others, and love working with kids. What are some of the responsiblities of an elementary school teacher? What are some classroom/behavior management strategies that will be beneficial for elementary school students, especially 4th and 5th graders? What are some teaching strategies that will be great to use in an elementary classroom? With our switch to Common Core in Florida, I'm currently researching different teaching strategies to use that align with the state standards. Even though I didn't have a student teaching experience, would I be a good teacher? I majored in Special Education for the first few years of collegiate journey, but I didn't finish. I'm a very passionate person concerning education because I worked hard to get my degree and with God's guidance, I achieve my goal. I appreciate any suggestions from you all! :)

3. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Sep 20, 2014

I'm actually a middle grades major, but since the topic has come up, is Ashford regionally accredited? I have read before that students haven't been able to get transferred over because of the issues they have.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 21, 2014

Future Teacher, which Ashford University did you attend? It is easy to find out if it is regionally accredited, and I would be happy to look it up on my state's DOE.

5. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Sep 21, 2014

I looked it up on Google, and there seems to be several websites claiming it to be denied regional accreditation. Which is why I'm hoping you won't get turned down a chance to get a teaching masters based on it.

6. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Sep 21, 2014

I'm not trying to create a crisis. I actually really am interested in knowing what type of accreditation Ashford has.

7. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Sep 21, 2014

Yes. Ashford is regionally accredited. In fact, all of my bachelor's degree credits and additional college credits evaluated and accepted through the Florida Department of Education.

8. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Sep 21, 2014

I attended the Ashford University in Clinton, IA.

9. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Sep 21, 2014

Good luck. I teach with many teachers who did not student teach and they are effective teachers. I also work with some teachers who student taught and aren't very effective.Depending on where you live in FL, once you get your temp cert., you should be able to get a job.(We currently have long term subs in my school district while they are trying to fill teaching positions.) Unfortunately,many teachers are looking into other career options. But, that is good for those entering the job market.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 21, 2014

I am so sorry you got caught up in a disagreeable situation. I could easily see that the university in Iowa was no problem. I did not believe that you would be entering a master's program without that accreditation, and I didn't know how to quiet the other individual. That said, I wish you nothing but the best, and I know several teachers who came up through the ranks as a para - it will be an advantage, not a hindrance.

You have more classroom experience than most subs, and quite a few of the alternate certification teachers. You are obviously willing to reach out for help. Should you decide to acquire SPED, maybe the Teacher of Students with Disabilities certificate, it will dove-tail nicely with your prior experience. Now, go get that science test under your belt, and hold your head high.

Best of luck!

11. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Sep 21, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! They're greatly appreciated! :)

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 21, 2014

You can do that masters one course at a time - takes longer, but is financially easier! You can get through nine hours a year!

13. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Sep 21, 2014

I'm wanting to attend Southeastern University in Lakeland, FL. This university's Master of Education in Elementary Education degree is 100% online and allows you to take courses at your own leisure. Once I have a minimum of 3 years of teaching experience under my belt, maybe longer, I plan on taking 1 course at a time. When I was working on my undergraduate degree, it was 100% online and I took 1 course every 5 weeks. It was intense, but well worth it because I gained the knowledge needed for me to become an effective teacher. It was a very valuable and worthwhile experience that I will cherish forever. It's been a long road for me since graduating 3 years ago. I have been given a blessed opportunity to work with kids and they are the reason why I want to become a teacher! :)