Homeworkopoly -can someone explain it?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by McKennaL, May 1, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

May 1, 2009

Thank You!

Rules?

Board? (is there one?)

How does it go over with students?

Has it made a difference in productivity, grades, they bringing homework back?

Is this something you do all year? (if so-do you set it up the first day)?

What materials are needed?

What grades is it appropriiate for?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 2, 2009

Make your own rules to fit your classroom's needs. Here is what I do. Students who get all of their work for the school week turned in on time, get to take a turn when we play on Friday. Absent work is not part of this, but any work that is late or incomplete disqualifies a student from playing that week. They roll the die and move that many spaces. Some spaces are like Chance or Community Chest and they draw a card. Some spaces have set rewards on them. Others are blank. I put reward stickers on those before I laminated the pieces. The site above has some premade reward cards, but not everything works for me so I made others. Some spaces had us completely stumped until the kids came up with ideas. For example, one space simply says "library" but I had no idea what to do for a couple of years. We tried different things, but didn't have any luck until this year's class came up with the idea that if someone lands on that space and we have group work the following week, that person's group gets to sit in the library corner of the room. It works perfectly.

As for other supplies, the only things you really need to provide are the playing pieces for each kid. I have heard many different options for this-everything from clothes pins to stick pins with flags. I make little pieces by making thumbnail sized copies of clip art pics and gluing them to colored index cards. Under each pic I write a child's name. I can usually get 4 or 5 pics/names on a card. Then I laminate the cards and cut them apart before putting a small magnet on the back of each piece. I tape my board pieces to a chalk board that is magnetic, so the game pieces just stay put until the kids roll again.

Hope this helps. If you need other ideas let us know.

5. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

May 3, 2009

I have a student job called Homeworkopoly Helper... that person is responsible for checking homework each day and marking completed assignments on a chart. My students have agendas that they write their homework in every day, and they are supposed to get parent signatures each night. To reward ANY completed homework and encourage more parent involvement, this year my requirement to play Homeworkopoly was that students had to have their agendas signed for the full week; the number of assignments completed is the number of spaces the student gets to move. I use colored plastic clothespins with student numbers written on them as playing pieces, and we hang the board on a big rolling bookcase using oversized binder rings. I printed out the board pieces on cardstock then taped them onto a large piece of poster board that has pockets for the different cards and Brain Busters.

The students LOVE it and I've found it to be a big motivator. I customized a lot of the Chance and Community Chest cards so that they get privileges like Lunch Bunch, class picnics, popcorn parties, sitting in my pink rolling chair for a day, etc. Sometimes I'll be really strict and only allow those who have done homework to participate in group rewards, and that seems to encourage those who didn't do their homework to get it together for the next time. We started playing the first week of school and we play every Monday morning. I think this would work best as described by myself and runsw/scissors for intermediate grades; doing it on a daily basis would take a LOT of time, and doing it weekly may not be enough immediate reinforcement for younger kids. There are other posts in this forum with more card and implementation ideas.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 3, 2009

I have it in my room (I call it Mylastname-opoly) and I teach high school! My kids love it, they beg me to play at the end of the week, and if they are not eligible to play, you better believe they figure out what they are missing and get it in.

My kids are allowed to play if they have EVERY ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WHOLE marking period in. And they can have NO discipline problems, late work, or forget anything for the whole week (it's high school so I am a little more strict).

I laminated mine and then I used a big circle whole punch to make game pieces. I used a different color for each class, and I put their initials on them. This year I just used the small size post its. I stick them on with the blue poster putty. then they can easily move them (I do need to re-staple the game board every once in awhile.)

I have a big prize bucket for it. I took off my treat bin space since we aren't really supposed to give out junk (plus if I keep it in the room I am reaching for it). I have a pencil box which has a ton of stuff in it (I either buy it at the beginning of the year when it is cheap, or I got a lot of fun pencils at the state fair last year by going around to the different free exhibits). I also get those stretchy book covers for very cheap and some pencil boxes at the beginning of the year.

7. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

May 3, 2009

I did Homeworkopoly a few years ago, with my 4th graders. I had it set up where if a student had their homework completed for the ENTIRE week, they would get to roll the dice to move on the gameboard. I didn't necessarily see more kids completing their homework because of this, so I stopped using it two years ago when I moved to 5th grade. I have been giving some thought to using it with my 3rd graders next year, but am still undecided.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 3, 2009

I had a boy last week get to play for the first time all year! Obviously the game didn't motivate him to complete his work, but the reward had him so excited!

9. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

May 4, 2009

I agree with most, you have to make it work for you. I've been using it for four years with 2nd graders and it is a BIG motivator. They get very upset if they forget their homework b/c they don't get to play. I think it may have to do with what you choose to put in as the rewards on 'Chance' and 'Community Lunchbox' cards. I put in fun (and free) things like Homework passes, 'use the teacher's chair', 'sit at the teacher's desk', 'stay in at recess to play with a friend', 'help in a younger classroom', 'read with another class'. All things they LOVE to do, and are free for me! We play every Friday and they can only play if their homework was turned in complete and on time. One late assignment and they're out. :) Good luck!

10. time2teach

time2teach Companion

May 4, 2009

What type of prizes do the 5th-6th grade levels like? What types of custom cards have you made?

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 5, 2009

I have cards for the following:
    Choose your job for the week
    care for class pets
    get a new pencil from the teacher
    move ahead 3 spaces
    choose a baseball card or bookmark
    surprise from the prize box
    take a recess game home for the evening
    free homework pass
    invite a friend from another class to each lunch with you
    lunch with the teacher
    move back two spaces
    choose one subject to skip today
    extra recess for the class

12. time2teach

time2teach Companion

May 5, 2009

Thanks Runs w/ scissors...

what kind of goodies do the older elementary like? All my experience is the very young Kinders..and I may be teaching 5th/6th combo next year.