Homework

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Jen84, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jun 17, 2014

I will be teaching second grade this year and was wondering how other teachers handle homework. Do you have students complete a weekly packet, or do you have them copy down homework each day?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2014

When I was in second, I bought durable plastic folders for each student and made them a Reading Response Journal. I gave them a list of about 40 questions (half for fiction, half for non-fiction). Their homework (Monday-Thursday) was to read for 20 minutes and answer a question in their RRJ. There were rules- no answering a question twice in a week, must be dated, must be initialed by their parents, etc... While they were doing their morning work, I met with each child individually for a little conference. I loved everything about the set up and I will be implementing it in third grade this year.

I also would send home a math paper on Monday that was due on Friday. One single, double sided paper from their workbook. That was more due to parent request. I'd honestly forget sometimes and get several notes on Tuesday morning asking where it was.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 18, 2014

I don't really assign too much homework. My main reasons are:
    -Research has shown that homework in elementary school doesn't really increase student achievement.
    -In 2nd grade, most students are not responsible enough to go home and do homework. If they aren't completing homework, it's almost always a parent issue, and that's a whole new can of worms to deal with.
    -I work them really hard during the day. When they go home, I want them to relax, spend time with friends and family, help prepare dinner, play outside, etc.

With that being said, they have to read 20 minutes every night (no logs). I usually send home one math sheet per week, but even that is difficult. Some students need a lot of academic support, and those are usually the ones that don't have support at home. So, I end up keeping them in for recess, and completing it with them during my prep time. Some students can finish it in just seconds, and then it just becomes busy work for them. So, I really struggle with math homework.

I encourage them to practice math facts at home year-round. I started Rocket Math 2nd semester, but it only takes 2 minutes to practice at home.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 18, 2014

I should also add that it really varies by teacher at my school. Some teachers require hours of homework, while others require almost nothing, like myself. Parents are usually split: some like the extra work, others prefer very little.

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 20, 2014

I completely agree ^

I also don't want them doing a bunch of Math problems the wrong way- some of them can't get help at home but they don't want to get in trouble so they do the problems themselves and once they practice wrong it's stuck in their heads! Ugh!

My kids are supposed to read nightly, study Spelling words, and do an occasional (usually optional) at home project. Every GREAT once in a while I may send a Math sheet home for extra help for certain students whose parents will help them.

7. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jun 22, 2014

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 22, 2014

:thumb: I totally agree!!

Our school has a subscription to an online math program and each student has an account. I encourage parents to use that at home in addition to home reading. That's more than enough.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2014

I don´t send homework as a packet but send it nightly. I too keep homework limited but I am working with a particular parent population that really expects their children should get homework, so I have to send something (otherwise I would likely send even less than what I already do send).