Homework

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Roobunny, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Oct 23, 2012

I am departmentalized (weird right?) and teach ELA. The only homework my students have are a reading log in which they are required to read 100 minutes a week and their spelling homework. I have also recently been sending home a grammar sheet over whatever concept we are covering in class.

I am toying with the idea of sending home writing prompt homework at the start of our next six weeks. I've had some parents voice concerns that their child has too much time on their hands after they complete their homework.

They do get a lot of math homework from their math teacher, but it's not very consistent. Last week they had 3 assignments from her on top of what I assigned, but this week they've had no math homework. While I don't want to bog down my kiddos, I also know what's in store for them next year.

What are your thoughts on homework?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2012

Maybe send home a writing journal that needs to have 3 journals complete every two weeks (or something of the nature). Then students have something to do when they finish their homework (especially on nights when they have no math homework) and students can always write extra or read more.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 23, 2012

In second grade I think the most home work students should have is 15 minutes of home reading every night.

Homework for the sake of homework is never a good idea. It is not your job to keep kids busy while they are in their homes. Parents complaining about their child having "too much time on their hands" need to step up and be parents. You are not responsible for that.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2012

Another thought. Instead of sending homework maybe compile a list of other tasks a child can do to aid learning (write out spelling words, use magnetic letters to make words, keep a vocabulary journal, write a letter to their favorite book character). This way parents have some direction for working with their child.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 24, 2012

This is a great idea. Some organizations issue calendars with suggestions for activities to do at home or in the community each day and for each grade level. My students used to love those! If you don't want to do it monthly or weekly, send it home at the beginning of each new unit.