Homework Folder Ideas

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by maemcgov, Aug 15, 2007.

1. maemcgov

maemcgov Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Hello all,
    I am trying to come up with convenient, manageable way to handle how kids transport homework and parent/teacher communication between school and home. I thought about assigning each student a small binder that contains a homework folder (with reading log), a parent communication paper, and a folder for papers and forms that need to go home and/or come back to school. Is that overboard? I would love to hear other ideas!

Thank you,
    Mary

3. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Aug 15, 2007

Hi! I have a folder for each child that has a homework log stapled on one side and a behavior log on the other (that I keep for my records at the end of the month). Everything goes home and comes back in that same folder, which they empty into a basket every morning. I have a parent aide that sorts it every morning and gives the kids stickers for behavior and homework and sends forms to the office.

Hope this helps!

4. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Aug 15, 2007

HW folders are a great idea. My CT used to send them home on Fridays to get signed and look at. If they dont bring it back on Monday they lost something like recess minutes etc...

5. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 16, 2007

I have a "take home" folder that comes and goes everyday. In it there is an assignment sheet for the week. I type it up and include the work that I know I am assigning as hwk, tests, due dates, and a place for a parent signature/initials.

Ex.

Monday, Sept. 11
    Sent: Math WS 1, due Wed., Sept. 13

Parent signature/initials _______

Tuesd...

Parent sig/initials _____

Wed....
    *DUE: Math WS 1

PArent sig...________

etc.

A signature is homework every night so I know the kids and parents are going through the folder together, taking work out, doing it, putting it back in, and removing notes and graded papers.

When they get in in the a.m. they put their folders in number order in a basket, I then go through them, take out homework, book orders, etc, answer notes (parents can write notes to me on the assignment sheet), and star the signature. I record that the hwk has been handed in, and I grade it later. I also use this assignment sheet to put a stamp or sticker on if the kid stayed on green (stayed on green on Mon, get a sticker on Mon...). If they flip their card I write the color and reason. DAily communication to parents how kid is doing in class. They can't ever say they don't know b/c they have to sign it daily.
    When I am done with folders, my paper passer passes back and they keep in their desks til end of day.
    If they have additional hwk (classwork that turned into hwk) they write it in today's spot.
    I have used this system for years and it helps the kids stay organized and keeps the parents informed.

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2007

I do homework binders with 3-ring binders. Only because binders tend to last way longer than folders & they are sturdy enough to be carried back and forth. I use plastic sleeves and inside each sleeve I put:
    ~a reading log
    ~spelling activities for homework
    ~monthly newsletter
    ~3 ring pencil pouch( to keep lunch money, sick notes, parent notes etc. so they don't get lost)
    ~ take home book for reading
    ~school planner
    ~ behavior chart

I plan to call the binders this year STAR binders. STAR standing for Student Taking Awesome Responsibility.
    Here is a link to some great ideas that I plan to implement with my STAR binders:
    http://www.teacherweb.com/NM/PajaritoElementary/BeverlyRomero/ap8.stm

The kids use the pocket to bring their homework home & back to school. They know to arrive in the morning and place their STAR binders in the plastic crate along with their composition spelling notebook. Everything gets turned in there and they pick their binder back up @ the end of the day.

7. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Aug 16, 2007

good idea...

8. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

I have a 2-pocket folder I use for HW. The left pocket says "Leave Home" and the right pocket says "Bring Back." Graded/old classwork, newsletters, and other forms that need to be seen but kept by parents goes in the left pocket. Every morning that pocket should be empty if parents have taken out the papers.

In the right pocket, I put field trip forms and permission slips or tests that need to be signed and returned. HW worksheets also go in the right pocket so they can be completed and returned the next day.

Stapled to the inside of the back cover of the folder is a Ziploc bag. I labeled it "Notes, Forms, Money" and the parents put any personal notes to me or signed forms and lunch money in it. Students turn in whatever is in their Ziploc bag each morning. If there is cash, it is an extra hassle because the students can't just dump it on my desk. I have to stop what I'm doing and write their name down with the cash. It would be ideal to stress asking parents to put cash in a sealed envelope with student's name and ID# on the outside. But I guess they are always rushing and forget...