Holy cow! I got an interview!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by S Dubb, Jul 10, 2007.

1. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

Less than 24 hours ago I made this thread about my lack-of-interview woes. Today I e-mailed a lot of the principals of schools that I applied to and attached my letter of interest and resume. Thank you so much to Aliceacc for that advice! A few hours later, one of the principals got back to me and invited me to come in for an interview tomorrow!!

The district is a few hours away, so I'm going to the area tonight, staying at a hotel, and waking up early tomorrow to get there on time.

The rest of today is going to be spent re-doing a lot of things:
    • Getting a haircut
    • Re-studying the district
    • Organizing my portfolio
    • Re-reading the helpful interview threads here

I'm going to wear a suit and tie, bring another copy of my resume and cover letter, and my reference letters. I snail-mailed my application in only a few days ago, so I don't even know if the principal has seen it. Should I bring in another copy of my application as well?

Anything I'm forgetting? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm so nervous, as this is my first interview! By the way, this is for a first or third position (the principal did not specify).

3. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 10, 2007

Good luck and just try to stay relaxed. I completely flustered through my first interview because I was just too nervous to explain my views and beliefs about teaching in a complete and articulate way.

4. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

Good for you! I absolutely LOVE hearing when people who work so hard finally are given a shot and are able to interview. I wish you the best of luck!

5. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jul 10, 2007

Way to go. Good Luck and let us know what happens. Remember take a lot of deep breaths on your way through the door!

6. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

Thanks everybody! I have questions regarding a follow-up thank you note, but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now since my thoughts are spinning with interview things.

What I can think of right now is should I bring a thank you note to the principal and the assistant (one for each) and hand it to them after the interview, or do I wait and send it via snail- or e-mail when I get home?

7. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

I'd wait and send it to them when you get home. That way it'll get there a day or two later and you'll be fresh in their mind again.

8. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 10, 2007

I'd send it after you have left- that way, it may come off as more genuine and you can personally reference something that happened in the interview. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

9. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

Good luck! Maybe the drive time will help you sort through ideas and mentally rehearse your possible responses.

10. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

Of course! See...that tells you where my mind is right now. Thank you. :)

11. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

Oh I'll definitely be talking to myself a lot in the car ;)

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 10, 2007

Way to go!! If you have a copy of the application I would take it just in case; it can't hurt.
    Let us know how it went!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2007

Knock 'em dead!!!!

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2007

Good luck!

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2007

Fantastic!! Let us know tomorrow how it goes!!

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 10, 2007

Bring the thank you notes in the car with you. After the interview go out to the car or to a diner fill them out and drop them back off.
    That way you get them the same day.

17. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

Just got home from the interview. I think it went pretty well. The principal didn't really give me any indication of whether or not they were interested in me, so I'm a little nervous. She said the next phase of the interview process would be with the superintendent, and that I would hear back by early next week. She also said that obviously she has other candidates to interview (and possibly internal ones as well), so that made me a little nervous that she would bring it up.

Oh, and studying the interview practice thread here definitely helped, and I think I went in with more confidence because of it.

Now I need to write my thank you note. What are the general rules for doing this? Can I e-mail it to her, or should I mail it regularly? Her vice principal was in the interview as well, so should I make a separate letter out for him as well, or can I include him in the principal's letter?

Also is there a link to a standard template anywhere?

18. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 11, 2007

Since you have some time before they make a decision, I'd snail mail one to each person. If they have more than a day or so before making a decision, I will snail mail - if it's more immediate, I'll email. Is there something you talked about specifically with the principal that you could mention, and something different to mention in the one for the VP? I'd word them a little differently, just in case they compare. :)

19. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 11, 2007

Best wishes, S Dubb- keep us posted! :)

20. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

Thank you! I will.

Tomorrow I actually have another interview in a district in a different part of the state. All summer I've been waiting and waiting for an interview, and I've been very fortunate to have two in two days. Hopefully it'll go well.

21. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

Just got back from mine and I immediately emailed both the p. and super. But, since the rest of the team obviously came in to do the interview (and the school is undergoing renovation -- what a mess) I just included the two others I talked with in the princ.'s email. I will, of course, send personal snail mail to the school for all in the hopes that they check in to get stuff. Also sent one to the super., who I interviewed with separately.

To answer your question: I was do both ASAP. And, yes, interviews do come in buckets all at once!