Hoarding: Buried Alive :(

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Aug 12, 2012.

1. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Aug 12, 2012

Wow. This show is heartbreaking. They are so broken on the inside. :(

Does anyone know a hoarder? A close family member could be on the show. I haven't seen inside of the house in ten years, but I know he can't sleep inside any longer. It's truly beyond shocking.

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 12, 2012

I'm watching that right now! The last couple -- the woman and her music teacher husband -- had it REALLY bad...

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2012

It is sad. Have you seen that show Animal Hoarders? My dad could probably be on that show.

5. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 12, 2012

Watching this show always touches a heart string with me, because it reminds me of my childhood. I would never say it is on par with what you see on the show (dead animals, piles to the ceiling, and all of the extreme stuff), but we had a lot of problems with clutter and trash piling up. It was like you can go back to a certain year and mark that as the moment that everyone stopped cleaning. It was a really awful situation. The house made my clothing start to smell horribly, and kids at my elementary/middle school started bullying me over it daily. I never had friends over to our house, and when I went over to other people's house their moms would always rewash my clothes for me. Rough stuff!

Thankfully, my parents really have turned around in the last few years, but the show always brings back those feelings. I have to say that the first time I watched it was a little relieving to know we weren't the only people in the world that had lived in bad situations like that.

6. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Aug 12, 2012

I watched some of the animal hoarding show. I didn't do well with that and my husband asked me in all seriousness to never watch again.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2012

I won't watch it.

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2012

:hugs: I'm so sorry. It must have been difficult for you.

9. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 12, 2012

It was for sure, but I survived and I am definitely stronger for it! :) I think that the experience will help me understand students coming from difficult situations as well.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Aug 12, 2012

Last year ( and even just recently) subbed a lot at an alcohol / drug rehab school. It was a rehab facility for teens and I believe for adults as well, but of course I would only see the students.
    They had 1 hour of personal development every day, and they would have to watch either hoarders, the first 48 or some other similar show.
    I didn't quite understand why they made them watch it, but the whole philosophy is based on therapeutic methods, so this was obviously part of it, I just wish they gave us more training on that.
    Some of the kids made comments that they had to deal with this growing up and seeing the show is a trigger for them :(

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Aug 12, 2012

My grandma is a hoarder! It's very sad!

12. waterfall

waterfall Phenom

Aug 12, 2012

My aunt was a hoarder. When I was younger, she lived in a sort of "apartment" set up in the basement of our house (my grandparents built the house). I was always afraid to go down there. When we moved to our own house, she got that entire house and she completely ruined it. My grandparents went once a year to clean everything out- I never really understood why they kept doing it for her knowing she was just going to go back to piling everything up again immediately. She had a cat and when I was little I used to sneak and clean up the cat's things because it was so sad how dirty his food and water things were.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 13, 2012

That show baffles me every time. I am a "thrower" who hates clutter (I would say that I am borderline OCD). I have such a difficult time understanding why someone would keep so much stuff-especially the people who keep all of their garbage!

I saw an Oprah episode maybe 5 years ago, where she worked closely with a hoarder. When the lady was finally ok with getting rid of things, they sold tons of her stuff. It took up 2 very large warehouses. I couldn't believe how much junk she had when it was all spread out!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 13, 2012

There's no hoarders that I know of. I watch an episode here & there.

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 13, 2012

We know a hoarder, and nominated her for the show. The TV people called her, but she refused to be on the show.

So, it sounds as if they are seeking hoarders.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Aug 13, 2012

One of my neighbors seems to be a hoarder. There are two small houses. One is completely filled with stuff. The other one is where she lives. There is a lot of stuff piled on the porch and around the house. I can see stuff piled in front of one of the windows. There are a bunch of cats that live outside, and she has a couple of dogs inside. She used to have an outside dog, but it died a few years ago. It was really old when I moved here 12 years ago. She hardly ever leaves her house either.