Hitting a Rough Patch: Job Search

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Emily Wisniewski, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Emily Wisniewski

Emily Wisniewski New Member

Aug 23, 2017

Hello everyone!

I live in southeastern PA and I graduated in May of 2015 with my degree in Secondary English. I knew that my area was competitive, but with school starting next week, it is really starting to take its toll that I have not gotten a teaching job yet. I was a long term sub for six months and last year, I was a building substitute for a great district.

Over the last few weeks, I was starting to feel defeated when it comes to the job search. Over the past 2 years, I have applied for close to 120 jobs and interviewed around 25 of those. I have sent my resume to a number of people to look at (including the hiring committee at my school) and I have gotten rave reviews with how I look on paper as well as practicing my interview skills. The staff is supportive and so are the high school kids I have been coaching over the last 7 years.

I know that I will be a good educator one day, I have always done well with teaching, but I find it hard to keep pushing through as a substitute when it isn't what I want to do. Then, I can add to my own pettiness a little bit when all of my friends were in the same boat as me, now have teaching jobs, so not only do I feel left out, I get to listen to them gush about their new classroom and what their first year is going to look like. And yes, I am so supportive of them, but when I go home, I just start to feel down about it because I just don't know what else I need to do to finally land a job.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice to tackling this school year to really make sure I am prepared for the next interview season. I enjoy my school, but I want to teach and I just don't want to be here next summer looking at a 4th year of substitute teaching. Any advice anyone may have to help get my over this rough patch or how to prepare would be greatly appreciated.

3. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Aug 23, 2017

Look outside the box. There are 49 other states and too many schools there will start this year without an English teacher. There is a job for you 100% but you have to go to it, it won't come to you.

SageScience likes this.
  4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2017

Your resume is getting you in the door. Your percent of interviews to apps sounds good. If you aren't making 2nd rounds or demos, you should probably work on interviewing because it's the only place to grow.

With that said, you might already be really good at interviewing and it's just a tough field to crack. Add certs, open your search to charter or catholic, move, or keep plugging away.

You'll get in eventually.

Ps, overly involved classrooms distract from the learning process. If you want to mess with your friends but still be interested in helping them grow, send them the research that tells them so.

5. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Sep 9, 2017

Many people in your subject area go to other states with teacher shortages. Unfortunately, the North East doesn't have much of a teacher shortage unless you teach in an urban, Title 1 district. Places in the South West have a big need. You can get a few years experience there and then return to PA. Try NV and AZ, for instance. CA also has a teacher shortage but getting a credential requires jumping through a lot of hoops. You could also try a program like Teach for America. They take credentialed teachers and will place them. There are similar programs in urban areas (Philly being the nearest one to you) which will also place you at a school.
    Someone above mentioned charter or private school. That's also a good option.

AlwaysAttend likes this.