Hiring woes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Anonymous Barbie, Aug 3, 2017.

1. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2017

They aren't keeping up with increased benefit costs in any industry. That's a societal issue not specific to education. There are plenty of retirees in the private sector in NJ who were promised lifetime healthcare benefits who have lost them. Teachers have not (yet). Health benefits can cost as much as about 30,000 for a family policy for one teacher. My coverage as a single adult costs approximately 11,000. My contribution is hardly even close to what the policy costs.

Local property taxes cannot support the liabilities currently in place. There will be no pension when I retire. The sooner people realize and plan accordingly, the better off they will be.

My problem with fellow educators is that they are suffering no more than any other industry and are in fact more protected.

2. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2017

Are you up on healthcare legislation and chapter78? Our negotiated benefits are being attacked. The state hasn't pId their contracted amount into the pension system for many years. And while it's prudent to 'plan accordingly', there are thousands of late career teachers who suddenly have found themselves with too little time to recoup what is disappearing. We run the risk of going the way of Wisconsin and Indiana. Sure, plan ahead, but dont take the stuff that's going down as a given. Fight for what was legitimately and legally negotiated on our behalf.

Here's an example of retired teachers who lost what was promised for their ENTIRE careers until the very end of their employment:
    https://www.njea.org/njea-receives-ruling-post-retirement-medical-benefits-lawsuit/

ETA: your healthcare contribution is based on your salary. There are plenty of single NJ teachers paying much more than you. And there are married members with families who are paying less.

I work in one of the highest paying NJ districts. Negotiations are tough. And in our most recent contract, we were given a raise above or comparable to Neighboring districts which resulted in some teachers actually taking home less money than they did before the negotiations due to the increased 'contributions and paying more taxes on the higher salary. '

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2017

In the end it's a fight that can't be won. You can't squeeze blood from a stone. That's all I'm saying. The state will never pay the share required by agreement or what is necessary to cover the unfunded liability. They plan to move the lottery funds to cover it, but any economist would tell you it's just creative book keeping by moving the same money around. They'd have to cancel tons of government services that will never be canceled so that an insane amount of the budget would be consumed by education benefits.

As for negotiations, the last time the NJEA tried to pressure the democrats in the legislature, it backfired miserably. Sweeney made them look like blackmailers which completely killed their position in the debate. There is also no actual recourse because our republican state policies would be worse. It's like trying to rob a bank with pencil in a paper bag instead of a gun.

Sure you could attempt to strike but a judge would send us back to school immediately.

Every state is heading in the direction of Wisconsin to some degree. We will never be a right to work state which will protect us some. I don't like it, that's just where we are.

PS, please don't delete this post for being political. This is just a reporting of the pension debate in the state of NJ.

4. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Aug 8, 2017

I have read them all, as I had to upload them myself on the application. They are all shining.

As to the turn this post made, I find it rude that others would hijack my post about my personal concerns about being hired. There are no politics involved in my concerns. Maybe personal politics, but not actual politics.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2017

Sorry. Healthy discussions sometimes take turns. Not personal. If you were teaching a topic where students showed interest in an area you hadn't anticipated, would you cut them off or encourage their interest?

dgpiaffeteach, bella84 and czacza like this.
  6. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 8, 2017

[QUOTE="Anonymous Barbie .[/QUOTE]

Barbie, do you know the principal well enough to ask him WHY you didn't get it?
    Since he suggested that you apply, ask him why you weren't chosen.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2017

Barbie, do you know the principal well enough to ask him WHY you didn't get it?
    Since he suggested that you apply, ask him why you weren't chosen.
    [/QUOTE]

Principals usually aren't so forthcoming with reasons why someone wasn't hired. The most an administrator will usually say is "we found a better fit", or "we decided on someone with more experience"...along those lines. A more productive and informative question might be "what can I do to make myself more competitive"?

Off topic(sorry, OP), but why don't RAH's posts parse when one replies?

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  8. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Aug 8, 2017

Principals usually aren't so forthcoming with reasons why someone wasn't hired. The most an administrator will usually say is "we found a better fit", or "we decided on someone with more experience"...along those lines. A more productive and informative question might be "what can I do to make myself more competitive"?

Off topic(sorry, OP), but why don't RAH's posts parse when one replies?[/QUOTE]

I did exactly that. The last time around he said "we chose a candidate who was a better fit" or "more in line with our goals for the school system". Which is a noncommittal way of saying anything but the real reason. I asked what I could do to make myself more competitive and he said "nothing, you have the qualifications, and noted you were willing to sponsor student organizations, and we don't choose candidates based on coaching."

(Where I am, people take coaching positions even if they aren't a teacher there. My uncle retired as a teacher and still coaches cross country in the spring as a part time gig.)

So... I had no clue what was behind his decision, or even if it was his at all.

9. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Aug 8, 2017

This isn't about healthy discussions vs unhealthy discussions. This isn't about me as a teacher (and don't even try to phrase it like that, you have no idea what I am like in the classroom). This is about me, a PERSON with a concern, a worry, looking for a little guidance, maybe even just a friendly "there, there, pat, pat". If you want to talk politics please do it on another thread. It breaks my heart to not be in the classroom for over a year now, and to open myself up to talking about my problems being hired, only to have the topic changed, really hurts. (Imagine you're having relationship problems and you come to a friend for advice only to have the subject quickly changed to politics. Sucks, right?)

Just acknowledge there's a time and place for it and drop it. There's no need to drag my teaching into it. That's a low blow.

10. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Aug 8, 2017

I wouldn't worry about it. They gave you some canned answer that has you all worried about what they meant by it. They felt you were not a good fit and chose someone else. You should get over it and move on. You should be applying for every open position, even in my places that are less desirable. Most teachers do not stay with the first school they started at. So find a job anywhere and gain your experience, then within a few years you can work on getting that desirable school you always wanted.

11. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Aug 8, 2017

As per the original post, there's still a job they're hiring for, so I don't know its status yet. And, I do have experience. I have a Master's degree, and three years of experience, including summers.

12. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 8, 2017

[QUOTE="czacza,...Off topic(sorry, OP), but why don't RAH's posts parse when one replies?[/QUOTE]

Czacza-----forgive me if I no longer respond to your attacks on me. I sense the vibes right through your posts, so God bless you, and you have a great life.
    Shalom

MathGuy82 likes this.
  13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2017

This happens on many threads. You are feeling vulnerable No one is dragging your teaching into the conversation. It was a mere tangent which has self corrected. And you might benefit to know that 'politics' is part and parcel of public education. Sorry if you felt stepped on. Good luck to you.

AlwaysAttend and bella84 like this.
  14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2017

Czacza-----forgive me if I no longer respond to your attacks on me. I sense the vibes right through your posts, so God bless you, and you have a great life.
    Shalom
    [/QUOTE]

That wasn't an attack. I don't understand why responding to your posts presents differently than others. It's just that simple.

See above post to compare.

AlwaysAttend and bella84 like this.
  15. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Aug 9, 2017

That's not necessarily "a noncommittal way of saying anything but the real reason".

So many of you on this board who can't find jobs assume that there is something wrong with you rather than accepting that sometimes you truly are great and there really was some other candidate who happens to have been a better fit for a particular school or position. I've said it repeatedly on this board, but I guess I'll just keep on saying it until I'm blue in the face: It's not always about you. Stop taking it so personally. I've been on hiring committees, and I've been faced with choosing between several fully qualified and wonderful candidates. The bottom line is that we only had one position to offer, so we had to go with the person who was the best fit for our needs at the time. It doesn't mean that there was anything wrong with the other candidates who came in second or even third place. It just means that we were forced to choose one. Someone else seemed like a better fit at the time than you.

Truthfully, after reading all of these self-critical hiring woes posts, I have started to wonder if the posters lack of confidence and self-doubt is seeping through in these interviews, leaving the interview committee with a poor or weak impression of the candidate. My best advice to you and to all candidates going through this is to stop being critical of yourself, acknowledge what makes you a great candidate, and let that confidence shine in interviews. Then, if you still don't get a job, assume that it's because someone else was a better fit, not that you are just woefully unqualified or otherwise awful in some way.

Also, on an unrelated note, no one hijacked your thread. You're new to this board. You don't own a thread simply because you started it. Conversations sometimes take turns. Accept it or find a new place to vent.

AlwaysAttend and novaguy1968 like this.
  16. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Aug 9, 2017

Shalom
    [/QUOTE]
    DAH, the question is: Why do your posts not display correctly when someone else quotes you? Czacza wasn't attacking you. She was just asking a question we've all been wondering. It makes it difficult to read and follow a conversation. My guess is that it has something to do with your choice of fonts, but I don't know...

Edit: See??? See how this post doesn't look right? Your whole quote isn't in the quote box. That's what we're wondering about.

czacza likes this.
  17. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 9, 2017

The second and third place candidates failed to do enough to convince the interviewer that they were the best. I think it's better to be hard on yourself than to blame someone else. I am actually harder on myself now than I was last year and it has made me a lot better as a teacher. I got told several times that I was a good candidate...but good candidates get jobs. We talked last year about the same thing, and we are still on opposite sides of the fence.

The job search sucks, and there's no two ways around that. Every rejection is one step closer to a yes...and many of us have taken a lot of steps on the journey.

18. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 9, 2017

I apologize to anyone who may be offended by my last post. This is still a time I remember very well.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2017

DAH, the question is: Why do your posts not display correctly when someone else quotes you? Czacza wasn't attacking you. She was just asking a question we've all been wondering. It makes it difficult to read and follow a conversation. My guess is that it has something to do with your choice of fonts, but I don't know...

Edit: See??? See how this post doesn't look right? Your whole quote isn't in the quote box. That's what we're wondering about.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

20. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Aug 9, 2017

Being hard on yourself as a teacher in a specific position is a lot different than being hard on yourself as a teacher searching for a job.

I'm not advocating that you "blame" someone else. Far from it. I'm just saying that you need to accept that, often, the circumstances are out of your control. You're right that good candidates get jobs... but only when there are enough jobs to go around for all of the good candidates. When the supply outweighs the demand, some good candidates find themselves without jobs simply because another candidate was a better fit for a particular school, position, or team.

AlwaysAttend likes this.