Hiring woes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Anonymous Barbie, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Aug 3, 2017

So, a quick background: I moved to a new state, subbed in a school district for a year, made a good reputation for myself as a good sub, and was approached by the dean of students and the principal and told to apply for an open position in my field. It's a rural school district, so positions in my field are few and far between, plus this school is 5 minutes away, vs the 35-40 for the other two school districts.

I applied, interviewed, and was told over the phone that I was not chosen for the position. I never really found out who got the position.

I mourned over it a lot. I have 3 years of experience, a Master's degree, and live 5 minutes away. And I was approached by the staff and told to apply. I was so confused as to what happened. Still, I resolved to stay as a sub, add a few more certification areas in the meantime, and just keep my eyes open for new openings.

So, to my surprise, I saw that the school was hiring in the subject area again. I applied quickly, and emailed the principal to tell him I applied, and thanked him for considering me for the position. He replied saying that I wouldn't be brought out for an interview, and that only new applicants would be interviewed.

I asked what the subjects were, and it sounds like they're the exact subjects for the last position. It sounds to me like something didn't work out with the applicant they chose, so they posted the opening again.

But wouldn't it follow that if they were really considering me, they would have just called me up and said "the position has come available, would you be interested?"

Them posting the job again, and not asking me, really sounds like they're not even considering me. Has this happened to anyone? I just feel so terrible about myself, like wow, I really must not be as impressive as I thought, because they clearly think they can find better, and are still taking applicants. Just feeling really blue.

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

Aug 3, 2017

They are probably required to post by law but even still, I would assume if they were considering you, they would have included that in the email. You weren't asked to demo and now it sounds like you aren't being considered.

4. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Aug 3, 2017

I don't know how aggressive I should be in applying. I have never been asked to demo before for jobs I have gotten, but is it too aggressive of me to email back saying "if necessary, I would love to do a demo class" ?

I just want them to be aware of how good I really am. How much groveling is too much groveling?

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

Aug 3, 2017

That would not go well. A better suggestion would be to send him an email to ask if possible to observe you during a class next year for feedback on your teaching to grow as an educator. Say next time you need a sub for multiple days, could he observe you on day 2-3 after you have built a relationship with the kids in that class.

This email should come during school year.

6. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Aug 3, 2017

I should say, he did mention that "though we are bringing only new candidates out to interview, this is not a disadvantage". I don't know how much of that I should believe, but it's something. I suppose I might still be being considered, but maybe I'm their last choice? And they're just casting their nets as much as possible?

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

Aug 3, 2017

To me then, that sounds like you're still underconsideration unless they find someone better.

8. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Aug 3, 2017

I hope, since it's this late in the summer, that most of the "hotshot" applicants have found positions, and that the local girl will do. I don't know, I've had interactions in the past where I told them things that they seemed to like (I have taught AP before, I taught using Chromebooks in class for 2.5 years), but somewhere along the way something happened and then I started to get the runaround, and they turned me down for the last job. I just don't know what more I can do without coming across desperate and aggressive.

My husband mentioned that his aunt was passed over for a position before because she had a Master's degree, and they couldn't afford her at the school. The applicant they chose quit mid school year, and they had to beg her to take over. That could be coming into play here too. But honestly, all I'm doing is making myself crazy by speculating.

He said they should be finalizing things within a week. That will leave about a week before the in-service days start.

I'm just really missing teaching. I feel like a third string football player just begging the coach to put them in the game and give them a chance.

9. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Aug 3, 2017

I would try to be patient. I would not offer to demo for this job, the P has clearly signaled he feels he has enough of a sense of you that he can compare you to other applicants and make a decision. Perhaps the masters is counting against you, but you sound well-qualified for this position, so I hope it works out for you.

I had something similar happen, I interviewed for a job I was well qualified for. I didn't get it. That school posted another, similar job about ten days later. (In this case, it was actually a different position.) I applied, the P called and told me I didn't need to interview again, and I would know the decision by the end of the week. I was offered the job (by HR) on Thursday. I hope you have similar good luck!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2017

my school is required to post openings but they aren't required to interview new candidates if they are hiring internally. I'd hope for the best but the reality is most likely they didn't see you as their best choice for whatever reason. :( sorry.

Are you applying elsewhere?

11. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 3, 2017

I am the dumb (donkey) that keeps applying for posted jobs when there are RIF'd candidates because I really like a couple of the districts. Every job has to be posted here, and they have to interview even if the job is already spoken for...which leads to the uncomfortable position of interviewing for a job there is no chance of getting.

12. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

Aug 3, 2017

All you can do is apply and hope. I don't know that they have to interview, they just need to post. Now they definitely go through the dog and pony show when they know they're hiring so and so's daughter. Can't make it so obvious.

13. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 3, 2017

Last year, I was probably the most negative poster on here...so I call it progress.

I hope OP gets the same "luck" many of us have had getting in for that first teaching job.

14. Milsey

Milsey Cohort

Aug 3, 2017

In life, there are cakes for the lucky few and crumbs for the rest. Definitely try to get a long-term assignment because many, unfortunately, view daily subs as mere babysitters.

15. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Aug 3, 2017

Oh, but it wouldn't be my first. :( I taught 3 years out of state. I taught summers too.

16. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Aug 3, 2017

I am applying elsewhere, but as previously stated, the closest districts are 35-40 minutes away, and with the harsh winters, driving those vs. the 5 minutes here is not a task lightly undertaken.

Plus, positions in my field are so few and far between in all three of these districts, so the local one is the only one I've seen so far. People tend to move to this community and don't move out. It's very close knit. Very much nepotistic in nature. I'm hoping by adding certification areas I can diversify, and just get my foot in the door. I'm going crazy not teaching. I don't think I can stand more than a year more of subbing before I look into a career change.

17. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Rookie

Aug 3, 2017

Interestingly enough the only jobs I've ever gotten are the ones where I did a demo lesson. My interviewing skills are mediocre, but when I'm put in front of the class and given the opportunity, that always impresses. If you do have an opportunity to do that, it could always help.

18. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

Aug 3, 2017

In my area, no decent school hires without a demo unless they are desperately close to the school year, sometimes through their own fault. I remember one school I worked at did double digit demos for one job, didn't like any, then hired someone right before school started with no demo.

19. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Aug 7, 2017

Too much competition for a relatively low-paying job.

Regarding the OP, is there any chance one of your references hasn't been as favorable as you would expect?

20. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

Aug 7, 2017

Im my area, teaching pays very well with guerenteed longevity raises. You'll never hear me complain about teacher pay in most of NJ. My brother is an Electrical Engineer for a very established company and he doesn't make that much more than me.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2017

The 'longevity raises" are hardly keeping up with required increased contributions to pension and medical.