Hiring process of a brand new school?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jamee1992, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Jamee1992

Jamee1992 New Member

Jun 8, 2019

hi, I had a teacher’s aide interview this past Tuesday afternoon and I thought it was a pretty decent interview. It’s for a public elementary school that is set to open this coming school year. It’s been 3 days and I haven’t heard anything. One of those days we had bad weather and the district was closed so I guess maybe that is setting things back. But I really want this job and I’m getting nervous that I didn’t get the job.
    They seemed really impressed with me and my resume, but maybe I was thinking too positive. How long did you guys have to wait to hear after an interview?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 8, 2019

My experience may not be the norm, but I’ve always gotten the offer on the spot or a few hours after the interview.

From this board, I’ve heard of people getting a job offer weeks and weeks later, so don’t lose hope yet. Keep applying until you sign paperwork for a job!

Jamee1992 likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 8, 2019

We always tell candidates when they will hear from us, one way or the other.

Now, when I was hired, they forgot to call me. I just happened to run into someone who was on the hiring committee who congratulated me. I was their only interview.

Jamee1992 likes this.
  5. Jamee1992

Jamee1992 New Member

Jun 9, 2019

I read online that if the interviewer shakes your hand at the end of interview it means they are interested. Is that true?

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 9, 2019

No. It just means they have good manners.

futuremathsprof, bella84 and vickilyn like this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Jun 9, 2019

I'm assuming that it is a new school in an established district, which means that you have no way of knowing how transfers from other districts will affect positions. That said, the bottom lime, however, is that somehow the district will need to take on roughly the number of staff the school needs, and transfers will open up spots in existing schools.

I have had the waiting for an answer to take close to a month, and that was a positive outcome. Around here, it is common to not ever hear if it is a rejection, or, if you do, it may be a couple of months down the road, when you had already figured that out. I think that hearing back for an aide position might be less lengthy - the good ones don't stay on the market long if they have experience. Might be much different for the teacher candidates, however, since this is graduation season, and the number of applicants will be through the roof.

Best of luck.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2019

This thread has been moved to the Job Seekers subforum. The Forum Announcements and FAQs forum is for announcements and questions about how A to Z Forums work. The move is unlikely to cut into the number of forum veterans who view this thread: most of us find new threads and new posts within threads not by paging through A to Z forum by forum but by using one of the Recent Posts links at or near the top of the webpage to see what's new since the last time we signed in.

(No, jamee1992, you're not in trouble with the moderators. I'm just taking advantage of an opportunity to issue a public-service announcement.)

9. Aces

Aces Cohort

Jun 11, 2019

Understand that there's a lot going on behind the scenes that you don't see. Say they have 200 positions to fill within the school (iunno not a real number just throwing something out). They're more than likely going to have a game of shuffle the district in which some veteran teachers will be asked if they're willing to move schools. That way the admin team doesn't have a completely new teaching staff. Of those 200, maybe they want 75 vets and the rest new teachers. They're probably going to do batch interviews, fill what slots they can with vets, then come back and fill slots with their top picks of new teachers.

And when I say there's a lot going on in the background... There's alot! At my school we're in the process of shutting everything down from this past school year and preparing for the next school year. We'll have 14 new teachers starting next year, and there's a lot that has been put into them and they're not even really done yet — we're making offers this week and they can go to three district office Monday for paperwork. So I only imagine the insanity behind a completely new school.