Hired. Now what?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sweep1989, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Sweep1989

Sweep1989 New Member

Apr 13, 2018

Hello all. I have been hired for the 18-19 school year (!) but because the school is on spring break, I have been left waiting for more information. I’m curious what will happen next. I’m assuming that is a meeting with HR? What will that entail? Not only am I impatiently waiting to find out more, I want to be prepared for these next steps. Anyone have insight as to what happens after you’ve been hired, especially because it is so early? Thanks for the help!

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Apr 13, 2018

Congratulations! It is early, but that's actually a great sign that your school has its stuff together. It depends on the school/district, but basically you will need to do a ton of paperwork, get security clearance, possibly even TB testing, etc, before you can even set foot on the campus. Once you're good to go, you should be able to set up a meeting with your department head if it's secondary (not sure what the primary equivalent would be?). Ask for any curriculum you can get your hands on -- textbook copies, pacing charts, etc -- and start planning out your year now -- it's never too early to start!

4. Sweep1989

Sweep1989 New Member

Apr 14, 2018

This is perfect, ms.irene. Thank you!

Luckily because I’m currently finishing up my student teaching, I already have my TB test and security clearance. Thanks for mentioning about the meeting with department head. I have so many questions, but I don’t want to email and bug them! Good to know that a meeting should be coming or at least something I should ask for. I want to get on planning, but they haven’t told me the subject I’ll be teaching yet (secondary social science, so it could be any number of things!). As a first year teacher, I want to spend the whole summer planning!

I also want to observe some of the department’s classes. I don’t know if that is an appropriate request. What do you think? Also, is the mountain of paperwork I’ll need to fill out typically done at HR/district office, or something I take home and return? I know every district is different, but is there a general way of completing that? If I need to take time off my student teaching placement, I’ll need to make arrangements.

Thanks so much again for the response!

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Apr 15, 2018

- I'm sure they'll let you observe some classes! I asked the principal when I was hired if I could observe before I started and she said "absolutely, I'd love for you to come in and observe!" (but only after all the papers were signed & I was officially hired & had my own badge and all that)
    - They usually have you fill it all out there, but shouldn't have a problem with you taking it home & bringing it back. I had to do that with the W4/tax forms because I wasn't sure how to fill it out (recently gotten married). They were totally fine with me taking it home.