high speed internet....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by love2teach, Jul 1, 2004.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2004

okay....I currently have AOL and love it! The only thing I dislike is the s-l-o-w dial up service! I want to get high speed but keep my aol address and accout (its my main way of commnicaiton...i can only imagine the nightare it would be to chage my address!) Is there an affordable way to do this?????? Let me know!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 1, 2004

Whenever you get a new account you can do a mass transfer of all your addresses and send out a message to them all telling them of your new address.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 1, 2004

I believe AOL has a high-speed component, if you're interested... we quit using AOL a number of years ago... but if you're happy with the service, I'm pretty sure you can get a cable, etc. option from them...

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2004

If you spend time on the internet...the high speed is a MUST!!! It is like nite & day!!!

6. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Jul 2, 2004

I kept my AOL account, but downgraded to the lowest $$ each month. It's $5, I think. I sign on to www.aol.com using my highspeed cable connection and check my aol mail quickly every day or so, meanwhile, I've been slowly changing my address with everyone important.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 2, 2004

how much is your cable?

8. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Jul 2, 2004

$45.95/month...I think. I don't have a home phone anymore...I use my cell only, so ....getting rid of the phone at $35/month and lowering AOL from $28.90/month down to $5/month...I am saving money AND I get the high speed.

9. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jul 2, 2004

I have cable internet and I LOVE it (except for the price). Mine is $105 a month but that includes digital cable (I didn't want digital, but its a package deal--its cheaper than getting standard cable + cable internet separately). I'm moving in August and trying to figure out costs of internet in Virginia, and am also considering SBC Yahoo DSL--only $26.95 a month. Does anyone have this?

Ellen

10. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 2, 2004

My DSL is about 50$ through our phone line. I am ALWAYS on the internet and things come on the screen as fast as changing the tv channel with a remote control.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 4, 2004

I too have AOL. The dial up is soo much slower then whatever it is I have at school. We're considering going to DSL or cable or broadband, I don't know the difference between them! We can get internet service so much cheaper & not get kicked off all the time like on AOL. I'm the one dragging my feet because of the hassles of changing my address with everyone. It's more then lists serves & freebies & all this other that I have coming in that I don't want to lose.

12. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jul 4, 2004

You might consider getting a free Yahoo, Hotmail or MSN e-mail address so that it won't matter who your Internet Service Provider is, you will always have access to your e-mail account. Just a suggestion. :0)

13. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2004

Thanks for all the suggestions.....Sandimyers....do you know the name of your $ 5 AOL plan? This way when I call AOL I know exaclty what I am talking about? Thanks :)

14. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Jul 5, 2004

No...I'm sorry...I didn't pay attention. I changed it online. Here are the directions to do it online. You need to use the dial up service to sign in. It can't be done through aol.com

How Do I Change My Price Plan?
    Members, To Change Your Price Plan:

Log onto AOL.
    Go to AOL Keyword: Billing
    Select Change My Price Plan. (You will be prompted to answer your Account Security Question. The Account Security Question is a simple question and answer created by you, which AOL uses to verify your identity and to protect your privacy.)
    Select the new price plan from the options listed. I chose the $4.95 one
    Click Switch to this Plan.
    Complete details about price plan changes are available online at AOL Keyword: Billing

15. dalia

dalia Guest

Jul 6, 2004

I have dial-up through myfam.com, it is the company that make clean movies for children and families. Anyway, i like it, the dial-up is not bad for 9.99 a month, the bad thing is that it ties up my line. But the way i see it, anyone that has my # also has my email address, so if they need me badly they can just email me.

16. SweetSKP

SweetSKP Rookie

Jul 6, 2004

I'm not sure how AOL works, but with Yahoo you can just go to www.yahoo.com and click on check mail...works with any Internet provider. I have Earthlink, but I don't use the earthlink email address. Earthlink is pretty fast, not DSL fast, but pretty good for dial up.
    My husband has Earthlink DSL at his shop, but we can access on our home computer through dial up. I'm not sure if that has something to do with it being a little faster.