High School Auto Shop class

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by winter4me, Jan 11, 2006.

1. winter4me

winter4me Rookie

Jan 11, 2006

Hi everybody! My husband is considering taking a job as a high school auto shop teacher (which is ironic considering I am the one with an education degree). Has anyone had any experience with this kind of teaching? Would he have to do lesson plans like the kind I am familiar with (although he would be at a high school, my degree is in el. ed.). I know how time-consuming being a "regular" teacher is, but we are both wondering what this job might be like. Any advice or info would be great! He would be starting immediately, and have to decline another job for this one.

Thanks!:eek:

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2006

Well, if your husband likes working in an auto shop and teaching high school kids, it should be a great job. There will probably be some regular classroom work tied to some textbook. So, he will probably wind up doing the normal kind of lesson plans. As far as the shop part of the class, he'll probably have to do demonstrations. After that, some students will have projects they want to work on. He will have to point them in the right direction, help them out, teach them how to use tools and equipment, etc. He will probably have to come up with projects for students who don't have their own projects. He'll also spend time making sure the kids stay safe, equipment is used properly so it isn't damaged, keeping tools from walking off, etc. I suspect that he will spend more hours per week the first year than following years while he gets a system down and learns the ropes.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 13, 2006

My sister took high school auto shop last year. I will ask her what there class consisted of. I am sure he will have to do some sort of lesson plan. The principal will want to know what has happened in the class.

5. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jan 13, 2006

I think it depends on the school and district on what they need to do as far as lesson plans. The class is more hands on so there might be less detailed...or more detailed plans than normal.

When I took Automotives...we spent the first couple of weeks going over safety stuff, learning the shop and how to use the lifts...etc.
    Then after the safety...we started doing basic stuff like oil changes, and got into the other stuff like brake rebuilds and changes; rebuilding an alternator...using diagnostic equipment...etc.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 13, 2006

7. winter4me

winter4me Rookie

Jan 16, 2006

Thanks for all the information! I do have to write a lesson plan (well, two actually) to turn in to the director tomorrow. I have already had to turn in a curriculum guideline- the program is basically non-existent, so I get to sort of create one. I will look at the standards- I didn't know there were any for vocational classes. If you find any more info, I'd be glad to hear it!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 16, 2006

I would expect most states do have standards. California has a CSET exam for Industrial and Technology Education, which would include auto shop; you can find more information on what the test tests at http://www.cset.nesinc.com/CS_SMR_opener.asp. There isn't a formal frameworks document in existence, but the Subject Matter Requirements document will give you an idea what California thinks a shop teacher ought to be able to handle. The Test Guides documents elsewhere on the Web site should also contain a list of books and other resources that you might find helpful.

Best of luck!