Helping a struggling student

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by tgtbtj, May 30, 2017.

1. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

May 30, 2017

Hi all, it's been awhile since I posted here but I need some advice. I teach a prekinder class of 3 year olds. I have a student who actually should be in the 4 year old class but was held back in my class this year. He has progressed tremendously this year but he is still very far behind the other children who are a whole year younger than this student. His assessment is exactly the same as it was in December so that is very disheartening to see. My question is, what should my next step be? How should I approach this issue with the parents? I suspect this child has a learning disabiltiy but I can't outright say this to the parents. What should I suggest they do to help? Please any advice would be greatly appreciated!

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

May 31, 2017

I teach special ed preschool, so this is the type of situation I help families and childcare teachers think through. A few questions...

1.) what areas are of concern?
    2.) what interventions are in place?
    3.) what effect has not being around same aged peers had?

4. Abcgirl

Abcgirl Rookie

Jun 1, 2017

I am having a similar situation. Parents have been talked to not only by me but by the teachers he's had before me in his 2 year old class. I want to get him the help but his parents are basically in denial. They say he does everything at home but if I ask him to do anything he just stated at me and smiles.

5. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 1, 2017

Do you have a screening tool you use to show them his scores compared to norms? I feel like sometimes a screening like the brigance or ages and stages helps parents see developmental norms, as opposed to just us saying what they aren't doing.

Is he ELL? Can the parents come in to help you do an assessment? Or take it home and complete one?

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 1, 2017

In my state we would suggest that child services get involved for a screening. Some private centers will also call using child find.

7. Abcgirl

Abcgirl Rookie

Jun 1, 2017

I just have our assesments but nothing to compare it to. He does speak 2 languages which is why I wasn't too concerned about him talking but even if he is spoken to in either language He still doesn't respond. Mom says he does everything at home and they speak both languages to him at home but we just don't see It. ETA: he has been with us since infants and has known all of us. so I don't think him being shy us much a a factor. I haven't ruled it out but its a stretch

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  8. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 1, 2017

What are his defecits?

9. Abcgirl

Abcgirl Rookie

Jun 1, 2017

Sometimes he can follow one step directions but you have to do thinks like we will call him John....you can't say "John put the crayons on the table" you have to point at the crayons and then point to the table as you giving him the directions and that's in both English and spanish. One of the other teachers speaks Spanish as well so she talks to him in spanish to see if that helps. He does not follow 2 step directions. I have only heard him say 4 words and that's no mama and daddy and hola(first time I heard him say hola was today) he does not play with or even alongside the other children. If a child tried to play with him he gets arressive and starts pinching scratching or biting .. He does not role play but he does like building with blocks Legos and cubes. And he has trouble doing any kind of self care such as putting on shoes or jacket. Or pulling up his pants. I am going to do our assessment on him next week so I can't think of anything else. The main concern I have is how aggressive he gets. He usually will break skin if someone gets too close or even just tries to play in the same center he is in.