Help!

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Walker4Life, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Walker4Life

Walker4Life New Member

Jul 31, 2007

Hi everyone! I am a brand new teacher who graduated with my masters this past May. I have lived in NY most of my life and just moved to Florida a few weeks ago and will be teaching 5th grade. I am really excited. However, my situation is a bit stressful. The school is not completely built yet. We won't be able to move into it until the end of December (hopefully!). In the meantime, we will be in portable classrooms. However, we can't even get into those yet. The curriculum is still on order, and the principal has no clue when it will come in. We have been advised on not bringing too much into the classroom at first because we will eventually be going into the new school. What can I do in the meantime when it comes to curriculum? What are the basics that I should put into my temporary classroom? Also....when I student taught, I taught in a primary school building and a middle/high school. Any suggestions on what a 5th grade classroom should look like/contain? If anyone can offer any advice, I would be forever greatful. Thanks!!:)

3. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 31, 2007

Check the Department of Education's sight for more specific objectives, but this may give you a start

http://elementarypgms.brevard.k12.fl.us/GLE's.htm

Type Pictures of fifth grade classrooms into a search engine. You will see some pictures of some great classrooms.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

Hi, Walker4Life. Welcome to AtoZ. Where in FL are you? I'm in a private school in West Palm Beach.

I've taught 5th for the last 6 years in a small classroom. I have a class library and lots of resources for research. That takes up one whole wall of shelving. I had only one activity table for projects; otherwise, we used their desks. I read aloud daily and kids sit/lie on a rug. I used to have pillows but have done away with them.

I usually did the room in an Americana theme since 5th studies American history. We did calendar math in the morning and a problem of the day on the board each morning. Calendar math helped them tremendously with fractions and decimals. (Search this site for posts about calendar math.)

Ask away if you have any questions.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2007

Daisy, I found this that you wrote a while ago:
    I am using it for grade 5, but I got the kit too late to start out on track so I have improvised since August. It's working well, though.

We use a hundreds chart to count the days out of the first 100 days of school. For each day in school, write the fraction name, factors of the number, reduced fraction name, decimal, and percent (of the first 100 days). We graph the daily temperature and describe a daily geometric figure (just in the last month).

Can you do a sample so that I understand clearly? When you say for each day in school, do you mean, the numbers are based on the 100 chart??? I'm just a bit confused.

Thanks!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

I posted a blank 100s chart on transparency. The first day of school the helper shades in the first square, and so on. When the chart is filled, that is 100% of the first 100 days of school. Then you can use a second 100s chart to continue on until the last day of school. I did this to reinforce that percent means out of 100.

This year I am going to use the real Calendar Math kit. It comes with everything you need. But, what I did last year worked very well for my kids.

7. Walker4Life

Walker4Life New Member

Jul 31, 2007

Thank you for your help. I am in the Orlando area. I was figuring to have an American theme to my classroom since I am big on Social Studies. Are the students at that grade level too old for jobs around the classroom? Are there any websites that you can reccomend that are very helpful to 5th grade teachers? I am sure that more questions will come. I will be sure to contact you!

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2007

I get it!! Thanks! I don't know how long I plan to teach 5th grade so I don't want to purchase anything too expensive. Could you tell me how much the Calendar Math kit was? Thanks!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2007

It is very expensive, I think. Maybe $180. I talked the school into getting it. They got it for 1st through 5th - and I have to teach them how to use it in one meeting. Wish me luck. Go to the Everyday Math website and see what you can find on there. Or request a catalog. What I set up last year on my own came from ideas I got from a catalog that just described their program and had pictures and examples.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso