HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by 1sJes, Apr 4, 2014.

1. 1sJes

1sJes New Member

Apr 4, 2014

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site, I hope you all can help me. I currently work in a daycare setting teaching 2year olds. I have worked in daycare many years but have always been with infants and toddlers. I have currently been moved to a two's room as the lead teacher. I was really excited to actually teach a lesson and plan stuff out. My dreams are slowly drifting away :-( I went in on a Saturday spent hours redecorating the room, hanging decorations, new circle time board, organizing all the toys and labeling everything. It seriously took my 6 two y/o like 2 minuets to destroy everything. Nothing was in its place and all of my circle time stuff I worked so hard on was not just ripped off the wall but ripped up. My heart kind of sank a little. I love these children but I'm having trouble with a few things. Here is where you all can help. 1) circle time board and other decorations, how do I get them to not rip them up or off the wall. ideas/ suggestions? 2) potty time: none of my 2's are potty trained so I'm working on that. I have 6 children in my class and have to take all of them in the bathroom where there is only 3 toilets. So the other 3 are constantly running the sinks and flushing the toilets. I have tried chairs toys books everything I can think of to get them to sit and wait( I know right keep dreaming) but any ideas on how not to have my bathroom flooded everyday, several times a day? 3) Any and all ideas and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated! Thank you
    Happy Teaching :)

3. asha

asha Rookie

Apr 5, 2014

Two year olds are little tricky because they have full ability to move bodies but the rules are not there yet. You have nice small class so you be able to do a lot with them.
    1)
    When it comes to taking stuff of the walls, I would say thing like " we do not touch teacher things" and use punishment for that behavior. I never had children do that so I am thinking they were trying to see what you going to do about it.
    2) potty train only those children that have dry diaper through the nap. Otherwise, you are wasting time, their bodies are not ready. In the bathroom, sing a song. I think maybe putting some kind of mark place where they have to sit would help. You could also implement rule like "only a teacher turns on a water because it can be hot"
    3) think of two problems that you have and work on those through out the week. Do not tackle all of it at once, because nothing will be achieved. Set rules and always say the same thing when you reminding the rules. Find your stern voice, they have to know when it is no more games. Make sure that there is always something for them to play with, they do not deal well with waiting. Use songs for everything, changing subject, transitions, etc. Give warnings and follow through. Routine makes it easier day.
    Hope this helps. You are teaching nice age because they still love giving hugs but they are learning the rules so that where you spend most time. Good luck.

4. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Apr 5, 2014

I think it's important to remember where the two year olds are at. They do not yet know that the things you value and create for the environment have importance. For things that can be put up carefully and safely within the group, I might show it first and then talk about it, why it is special and then put it up with the group. Standing back to admire and discussing simple expectations. I'm not sure what the environmental changes are that you made, but at two, children are just exploring with every fiber of their being. So, it it's paper, maybe giving paper in a wading pool or tubs and talking about how it is fun to rip it up, but then going around and touching special things and talking about how those things are not for ripping, or pulling but for looking at. I might wonder if you need to scale back your expecations. Simpler is always better. In fact, even spartan. Less is more. Try to create a an enviroment with mostly articles that can be touched and keep aesthetics very simple and boards, and displays to a minimum. The twos don't know what the expectations are. They don't come in with that prewired in their heads. Go S L O W. Introduce everything slowly and carefully.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 5, 2014

How disappointing to have all your work ruined. I would follow this rule: if they can reach it, they can play with it.

Circle time is generally any casual time when most of the 2's gather around the teacher to explore a couple concepts, read a story, sing a song. I would not worry about decorations. I don't believe you can keep them from taking down decorations. Children at this age learn more by taking apart than putting together. They will take apart a puzzle or dump a basket of toys. This is considered a learning activity for 2s.

2. Potty time. Six children are a lot to control by yourself. Ask for help.

Keep working on adding projects and activities and you will get there.

6. bora

bora Rookie

Apr 5, 2014

You have 6 kids all by yourself?! I know the ratio is 1:4 for infants, toddler's and 2's. In my old center was worse. 8 kids and only two toilets, and these two toilets were share with other two's room.

7. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Apr 5, 2014

1) Two-year-olds are competent in many ways, but it sounds like you were overestimating their developmental level. Two-year-olds still love to dump, throw, rip, and so forth and that's okay. Although two-year-olds certainly can and should be taught to respect property, I would not necessarily rely on it when you are not directly supervising. This means that you either make a circle time board that is durable and that they are allowed to play with outside of circle time, or you make your board portable and only bring it out when it's going to be used. Even then, I would consider making it as durable as possible so that they can participate and interact with the board.

More generally, my rule of thumb with twos is that if you leave it out, it's fair game to play with. This does not mean you need to let them chuck toys across the room or rip books apart, but it does mean that you don't leave anything out that is completely off limits to them. Two-year-olds will not necessarily have the self-control to leave it alone.

2) This is definitely tough. Out of my current class of 7, I only have 1 who is fully potty trained and another who is in training, the rest are still in diapers. If I have to bring them all in to the bathroom (luckily rare), I usually allow the non-potty-trainers to wash their hands while they are in the bathroom, and then they are to go sit down and wait for everyone to be done. You might just have to be patient and firm with this one. If there is any way you can take them in smaller groups, definitely do it.

I hope that helps a little. Two-year-olds are tricky but if you are able to adjust your expectations and use lots of positive guidance, you should be able to get the chaos to a manageable level.

8. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Apr 5, 2014

The ratios vary by state. In my program, the ratio for infants/toddlers is 1:5 and for twos it is 1:8. In lower level centers, it is 1:6 and 1:10 respectively.

9. bora

bora Rookie

Apr 5, 2014

1:5 for infants and 1:8 for two's ?! :eek:hmy: Wow! I don 't know how you do it. We used to be two teachers with 8 kids and still wasn't easy.

10. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Apr 5, 2014

In my state the ratio is 1:10 for 2's. I previously taught an Early Head start class of 2's. We never did an actual 'circle time' but rather we might have everyone sit before nap while I read a story, or get out music instruments and dance together. I might bring out some large pictures to encourage language and work on new vocabulary or play simple games. Usually my rule was that I kept going until 2 of the kids had gotten up to go do something different.

11. msaly

msaly Comrade

Apr 5, 2014

Our twos ratio is 1:11. Six would be a dream class for me!

Explain at circle time this is for teachers only. Just keep reminding them. If it's an actual bulletin board put a curtain over it until you think they can handle it.

put contact paper or clear tape over all labels on shelves and buckets. They won't be able to rip them off. I laminate my labels first so the tape doesn't ruin them. Laminate all posters and decorations that can be laminated that way they won't get destroyed.

Make a spot on the wall for each child in the bathroom. Sing a song while they are waiting. I would not bring toys in the bathroom, that's not sanitary. Unless they have gone to the potty they shouldn't be allowed to be at the sink (unless they are washing from art or before eating, etc). Also teach them the proper way to wash their hands so they don't just play with the water. My kids turn on the water, get their hands wet, turn off water, one pump of soap, rub together while singing abc's, turn water back on and rinse, turn off water using a paper towel and throw it away. It took them about 2 weeks to really get this process down. I also disagree with the previous poster: just because a child wakes up from nap with a wet diaper doesn't mean that they aren't ready to be potty trained. Some of them are just deep sleepers and they don't wake up to the sensation. I have 22 total two year olds and all of them are potty trained(except 2 who have developmental delays). Don't get discouraged! They will test your limits- be firm and make your rules known.

12. 1sJes

1sJes New Member

Apr 6, 2014

Thank you everyone who has replied! Our ratios are as follows infants/toddler are 1:3 and two's are 1:6

13. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Apr 7, 2014

have you set up a rewards/consequences system.

My son liked getting stickers for using the potty and we would give frowning faces if he had an accident. If he had more smilie faces than frowns, he would get a prize. (he was collecting hot wheels cars at the time).

have you had the kids help you decorate? I've found if you have each child "help" hang up things and ask them NOT to pull their work or others down, because you want everyone to see how beautiful it is, helps sometimes.

However, with 2 year olds you will have to put away anything that can be shredded or destroyed. or at least put it out of their reach.

Patience is key. wait for them to listen and do what you ask before letting them do fun activities and play with the toys (keep it all out of their reach until they are listening) and then let them do their "work"