HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by carlalmiller, Apr 27, 2011.

1. carlalmiller

carlalmiller New Member

Apr 27, 2011

I am a first year teacher at a school where I must use basal readers. However, we're on our last story this week! My students hae really exceeded my expectations and I haven't had to spend more than one week on more than two stories all year.
    Now, I have no idea what to do for reading. Can anyone help me?? How do you structure your reading programs without a basal reader?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2011

You could read a class novel together (try a Magic Tree House story).

You could have the students read silently or in groups with you meeting with smaller groups. Maybe guided reading....

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2011

I only use trade books...no basel.
    Read a novel or begin a series (Cam Jansen, Junie B, BoxCar Children, Magic Treehouse, Charlotte's Web)

5. Srohl

Srohl Rookie

Apr 27, 2011

What about....

Doing readers theater?
    A poetry unit?
    Have students Vote on their favorite author and do a week of books by that author?
    Independent reading and a project to present to their classmates?
    A research report?
    A play?

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Apr 27, 2011

We use storybooks as mentor texts. For example, we find a book with a particular characteristic of effective writing, we read it, discuss it, etc. Then, the kid use the mentor text as a model for creating their own work. Often, we create a class book!

We have done "Gorilla on a Bus" (used Duck on a Bike as a model); "The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Picture Day;", etc.

7. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 27, 2011

Not sure if you have these but we have what we call "tiny shinies". They are additional books (advanced, on level, below level and ELL) and are/can be used in small groups or for oral partner reading. I use one a day based on whatever "old" stories we have already finished. I pick 5 new vocabulary words from these stories and do the activity that goes along with it in the teacher's manual.

8. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

May 7, 2011

Why not do an author study? Kevin Henkes, Leo Lionni, etc. You can go through many books to see all the author's craft they include.