Help with whining

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by nichelle018, Apr 21, 2015.

1. nichelle018

nichelle018 New Member

Apr 21, 2015

Okay so one of my pet peeves is when kids whine constantly about nothing. I know that with this age that that's what they do, but almost all of the kids in my class know that I don't do whining so they usually don't come to me when their whining unless they are hurt or it's something serious. With that said I have one child who takes whining to a whole new level and I almost lost it today. First she whined, because nobody would play with her. After the kids let her play she started whining again, because they where playing what she wanted to play. She wined, because I forgot to read a note that her mom put for her in her lunch box. Then she whined, because she was done with her lunch and I didn't pick up her trash fast enough. On the playground she started whining and crying, because she said the other kids where being too loud and they where hurting her ears, then she whined and cried again because she said that the wind was blowing too hard and hurting her stomach so she wanted me to take her inside. I have reach the end of my rope with her and the whining and I don't know what to do. I dread the three days that she comes, because I know that I will have to listen to this kind of whining all day long. I need some advice. :(

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Apr 21, 2015

"I don't speak whinese. Tell me again without whining so I can understand you." Has worked wonders for me with younger kids (the same strategy works with kids who don't say please -- I can't hear them if they don't say it.)

ChildWhisperer likes this.
  4. CherryBlossom92

CherryBlossom92 New Member

Jun 8, 2016

In college, I was taught you respect there whining. So when I work at daycare, I tell them and get down to there level saying. "Sweety I know your upset could you tell me what the problem is?" If they are hysterical I tell them. " Sweety how about you go to the reading center till you calm down and then tell me then come back to me and tell me the problem" or I say if there not to hysterical " I need you to take a deep breath in and then a deep breath out".

5. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 8, 2016

I think you have 2 options:

1.) Ignore it. As long as she is safe, completely ignore anytime she is whining about something. Usually when I do this, I'll start pointing out other children randomly. Example: Little Suzy starts whining about you not picking her lunch trash up fast enough. I completely ignore it and start saying "John thank you so much for waiting patiently. Liam thank you for being a good friend and waiting,etc..."

2.) Create a plan to change the behavior. Use a social story right when she walks into the classroom every day. Sit down with her 1:1 and read a social story about not whining when you come to school. Then, use a positive token (or other type) of reward system. She could earn a token (sticker, stamp, etc..) every time she DOESN'T whine. Example: "Suzy, thank you for waiting your turn without whining. You earn a sticker." After a certain number of tokens (specify this in the social story) she earns a highly motivating reinforcer. Since it sounds like she really wants to talk to you about things, maybe she can earn 5 minutes with you 1:1 during centers.

Good luck!

ChildWhisperer and ms.irene like this.
  6. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 8, 2016

For some children, I think it's helpful to actually model for them (kindly) what whining is and how you would prefer for them to speak. They don't always really know what you mean by "whining."

7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 8, 2016

I ignore the whining and make them tell me again. Same with the crying.
    I just say "I can't hear you when you whine/cry" or "I don't know what you're saying when you talk like that". I tell them to "talk like a big boy/girl"
    I don't know if that works or if I just get kids that aren't big whiners, but I've never had a problem with whining!

edit: Just realized this is an old post!!