Help! With tutoring 6th grade!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MissE, Apr 1, 2007.

1. MissE

MissE Rookie

Apr 1, 2007

Hi all. I'm in need of some help from all of your creative minds. I teach 4th grade but after school I tutor 10 Sixth graders in Reading. Up until now the focus on our tutoring sessions (2 times a week) was to be on preparing the students for our local state standardized tests. Now that the tests are over we are to come up with our own lessons/ideas.
    Last year I taught Math which was a lot easier to come up with fun interesting mini-lessons for my students. I don't have a lot of resources being that I teach 4th grade. We do have a subscription to a website with reading materials. However, I hate it. The stories are bland, and activities are boring.
    So if anyone has any ideas that I could use to supplement 6th grade reading, I would really apprectiate it. Websites, books, whatever. Just need help!!! :thanks:

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 2, 2007

How low are the kids you are tutoring? Are they having more problems with decoding or comprehension? I have tutored students between 4th and 8th grades in reading. Depending on the students' needs sometimes we read short novels together and discussed them. Other times we did real-life reading (like menus, newpaper articles, etc.) Word ladders and word building are great for any age and ability level because you can tailor to needs.

Without more details about your students, this is all I can offer. Hope it helps.

4. MissE

MissE Rookie

Apr 3, 2007

Some of my students are in sixth grade but on a fourth grade reading level. I also have students who are in sixth grade and at the sixth grade level in reading and comprehension. I have an extremely wide range of abilities. They struggle with both comprehension and decoding. This makes it hard to plan.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 5, 2007

Could you put them in reading circles with different novels or stories? I know it isn't PC to use leveled reading groups, but I feel it is almost necessary in some situations. Perhaps you could have the students sorted into reading circles by ability one time, work as a class for another novel, work in mixed groups for another novel. If you can't use novels keep groups for a specified length of time (say 3 weeks) before mixing things up. I also have my students read popcorn-style in pairs or groups of three. This way they are hearing different reading styles and can help each other with difficult words.