Help with these ?'s for a special ed position

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, May 14, 2017.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Comrade

May 14, 2017

I had this posted in the special ed forums but didn't get any responses. Can anyone help with responding to the following questions? I had them in an interview last year and I remember struggling a little bit. Any help would be amazing!
    1. If you were holding an IEP meeting and the LEA had to leave to attend to a problem in classroom, what would you do?
    2. What would you do if a regular ed teacher sent one of your students to your special ed room for behavioral reasons (interview was for an academic support)?
    3. What are the steps to making an FBA?
    4. How do you plan lessons for special ed students?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

May 14, 2017

Are you applying as a teacher or aide?

4. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Comrade

May 14, 2017

teacher

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

May 14, 2017

What are the requirements to teach SPED in your state? Planning lessons and making an FBA (Functional Behavior Assessment) seem like SPED basics. As for you question #2, if the IEP says that the move to the SPED room is acceptable, that would be fine, but maybe not ideal in the long run. I suspect that a better approach would be to help the gen ed teacher some strategies that would allow the student to remain in the gen ed classroom, if that is in his IEP. You may want to spend some time in that classroom to observe and help anticipate problems, with procedures that head the behaviors off before they become an issue. As far as question #1, I am not quite certain what the LEA is, so no help. For our IEP meetings, we need the case manager, who may be the social worker, the SPED teacher, the gen ed teacher, and any other services or their reports, in addition to parents, advocates if they choose, and often the student. In NJ, we also have the Learning Consultant, and some will include a behaviorist.

The requirements to teach SPED here are based on the acquisition of the Teacher of Students with Disabilities certificate (TOSD). You can earn it as an undergrad, but most of the time it is earned as a graduate student. With the TOSD, you will have the ability to teach SPED in any certification that you are licensed for. You can also have the TOH, or Teacher of the Handicap. We no longer issue that cert, but if you have it, it is yours for life. The TOH is an endorsement that basically says you can teach SPED in any content area legally, nice if your teacher may be used somewhat as a float.

The TOSD certificate is a minimum of 21 credits as specified by the state and the university you attend, which means it can be somewhat more or include a practicum, depending on the university. You can also earn a MEd. in SPED. If you have standard certificates and have 3 or more years teaching experience, you can get a provisional TOSD as long as you are enrolled in the course of study. You have two years to finish the work.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 14, 2017

If you post your answers, I'd be happy to help you tweak them. I'm not comfortable just answering interview questions for someone. As a sidenote, I'm also not sure what an LEA is. Here, sped teachers are also case managers and we're in charge of everything- evaluations/testing, writing the IEP, leading the meeting, etc. I know in some states that's not the case so I'm assuming an LEA would take over one of those jobs, but I'm not sure which.

teacherintexas likes this.
  7. Kelster95

Kelster95 Rookie

May 14, 2017

LEA is a local education agency/ administrator. At my school we have a coordinator of special ed who just oversees meetings and is in charge of ensuring compliance. At some schools the lea is a principal or assistant principal. Protocol would be to wait for the lea to retur or possibly ask the ask the parent if they mind continuing without the lea and not finalize the iep until it has been reviewed by the lea.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

May 14, 2017

What state for lea?

9. Kelster95

Kelster95 Rookie

May 15, 2017

I am in VA, our iep teams are case manager (sped teacher), gen ed teacher, student, parent, lea (admin). Sped teacher writes the iep and runs the meeting, the admin is there to be a second set of eyes on the iep, ensure compliance, and to answer any questions the parent may have that the case manager can't answer.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

May 15, 2017

I think some of those questions depend how things are run in your school/district. Is there a policy for sending kids out of their classes for behavior reasons?
    In my school the IEP meeting is run by our CSE person so the meeting still goes on if someone has to leave, as long as their paperwork is submitted. Those are strange questions though. Where did you get them?

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

May 15, 2017

I have students with behavior contracts that are allowed to take five and leave the room. It is in their IEP. Everyone who works with these students should be aware of what is written in the IEP.

To OP:
    So, #1 I don't understand since I don't have lea, 2 depends on what is written on the IEP, and 3 and 4 should be SPED 101.

12. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Comrade

May 15, 2017

PA

13. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Comrade

May 15, 2017

My answers were something like this...very vague...I know I didn't do well on them
    1. I said something like we would continue with the meeting and catch the LEA up with what was discussed while he/she was gone.
    2. Learning support rooms are not for discipline but I would help the regular ed teacher with what to do with behaviors.
    3.Not sure the steps but I said I would look for patterns in behaviors and document.
    4. Follow curriculum and make sure I am including IEP goals and standards.

14. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Comrade

May 15, 2017

LEA makes sure IEP is being followed

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom