Help with Student

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by aeteacher1986, Apr 1, 2019.

1. aeteacher1986

aeteacher1986 Rookie

Apr 1, 2019

I really need advice with a student and admin. I teach private Kinder at a daycare. I have taught in public and private and this is my hardest year by far. There is just no help or resources for students that need extra. Every time I mention this student my admin brushes me off.

This student the oldest one my class and she changes so fast. Some days she is amazing and then I have no idea what sets her off and she screams, and cries on the floor and takes off her shoes and throws them. She is exceptionally defiant and I pick and choose my battles with her.

I have a cool down area, but she will not go there and I do not force students there. She will not talk to me when she is calm and will climb on the furniture and jump around me to take things out of my hand. When she is jumping around me her arms are swinging and I am worried because I am pregnant that she will hit me. She hit a teacher last week and nothing was done. She did not leave the class and the parent was not called.

I have notified the admin of my concerns and their response is other teachers do not put themselves in that situation.

I have tried contacting the parent multiple times in the year, and she does not think anything is wrong.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

maharatash3 likes this.
  3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Apr 1, 2019

My first action would probably be to start taking frequency data on measurable behaviors (number of times she’s out of area, aggressive actions, screaming, etc.). After having maybe 2 weeks of data, I would present that to admin and family so that they can’t say anything is wrong or deny that behaviors are happening.

However, honestly, if you have an admin that really don’t care that this is happening in your classroom, it’s going to be tough.

maharatash3 and otterpop like this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 1, 2019

Agreed. It sounds like at this point it may be better to weather it out. How much longer will you have this student?

If the student hits an adult, they should leave the classroom, period.
    You say she did not leave class. Whose decision is that?

Document everything you can so that you have data backing you up saying that 1) the child has a problem, 2) you've tried everything in your power to address it, and 3) you've contacted administration and parents.

maharatash3 likes this.
  5. aeteacher1986

aeteacher1986 Rookie

Apr 3, 2019

Thank you so much for your responses. I have been documenting everything and she has been like this since the beginning of the year. Since it is really a daycare instead of private kinder there are no resources and it is just me using my tricks that have worked in the past.

I met with the mom and she does not think anything is wrong because the school does not call her when problems arise since it would make the mom angry and the student might leave.

I was not worried before when she acted like this but now that I am pregnant (and maybe I am overworrying because this is my first) I am really worried since she is violent and grabs at me and pulls things out of my hand.

The decision was admin because she calmed down once in the front office. I know I will have to tough out this situation, but any tips or tricks that you have would be greatly appreciated! We are not doing this little girl any favors by this behavior, and I have spoken about that point before.

maharatash3 likes this.
  6. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Apr 3, 2019

I had a similar student when I was pregnant as well. With any behavior, you need to find the function of the behavior and determine what reinforces/motivates the student.

I would try a super simple token system. She earns a token for every good choice/direction followed (I.e. “Good keeling your feet on the floor, you earn a token”) and then after 5 (or however many) tokens, she earns a reinforcer. Teach her the system, keep it consistent, ignore as much of the negative as you can.

maharatash3 likes this.
  7. Lei286

Lei286 Rookie

Apr 17, 2019

Your administration doesn't do anything about this?! AND YOU'RE PREGNANT!
    I would continue to document all that you can, BUT I would go to administration and I would TELL them plainly that you do not think that they are doing all that they could be to support you in the way that you need especially considering that you're pregnant!

I would also remind them that if something were to happen to you or your baby due to this child's conduct on their watch, it would be very unfortunate because they are LIABLE. I would also send home a note/email/ or phone mom every day that this occurs and how you attempted to address the behavior- and then keep a copy or phone call log for yourself. Then mom can't use the "oh well it can't be that bad if I'm just hearing about it now" excuse. If it happens at school, then it's likely happening at home. And if its not, it will be soon enough!

8. aeteacher1986

aeteacher1986 Rookie

Apr 18, 2019

The vibe or tone I get from admins is that I am bothering them and that I should just take care of it. When I applied and interviewed they kept calling it is a private school kindergarten so I had different expectations since I have taught at a private school. A lot of my students have behavior and learning issues and I am not a special ed teacher so I am trying my best to handle and help them for their future school careers.

I have told admin numerous times that I am worried about her and myself but it is very dismissive such as she probably will not have those days and that mom is so busy with the new baby a phone call would not do any good. I do send notes home to mom almost daily but, have never heard back unless I stay late to talk to her.

I did not know if the school is liable...they have asked me what happens in public or private schools. The private school I taught at she would have been dismissed and the public school she would have either an aid or go to a different room when she needed it.