HELP with presentation 7 questions for educators

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wilbur, Feb 16, 2017.

1. wilbur

wilbur New Member

Feb 16, 2017

Hello,

I have 7 questions for a presentation for a school paper / presentation I need to give.
    If you could, please look at them and answer any you feel comfortable answering.

1. position at school ?
    2. years in educational profession ?
    3. general demographic of student population, economic rather than race ?
    4 does you school adhere to a "no tolerence" approach to negative social behavior
    such as suspension and expulsion.
    or
    does you school use advising services and behavior education as a response ?
    5 in your opinion are these issues related to economic situations of the students home ?
    6. have these behavioral issues increased in frequency over the years ?
    do you think your experence is similar or different then other educators you may know ?
    7 do you expect the behavioral issues will be more or less common in the future ?

Thanks,

Bill Gray
    Junior at Stockton university

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2017

welcome from a Jersey Girl! My sister went to Stockton!.

1. position at school ? Grade 3 teacher
    2. years in educational profession ? 20
    3. general demographic of student population, economic rather than race ? High SES
    4 does you school adhere to a "no tolerence" approach to negative social behavior
    or
    We are an elementary school. Pretty much no suspension I think we've done the rate in school suspension.
    5 in your opinion are these issues related to economic situations of the students home ?
    Not necessarily but economics influence the kinds of neighborhoods in which children are raised. Students who are in crime ridden areas, exposed to drugs, broken homes with little family involvement, lie literacy families.. those things tend to be economic situation related but I believe it's more a correlation than causation in terms of school behaviors.
    Not in my school
    do you think your experence is similar or different then other educators you may know ?
    See #5. Educators in those neighborhoods are most likely having very different experiences than I. I have taught in inner city and have friends who have as well. Students who were born to crack addicted moms, teachers cars broken into, etc.

7 do you expect the behavioral issues will be more or less common in the future ?
    I don't think much will change.

4. wilbur

wilbur New Member

Feb 16, 2017

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. PalmdaleMark

PalmdaleMark Rookie

Feb 16, 2017

6. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Feb 17, 2017

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:23 PM

1. position at school ?
    High school English teacher

2. years in educational profession ?
    5th year

3. general demographic of student population, economic rather than race ?
    very low SES, homelessness is common, at-risk youth. Many but not all are expelled from other schools and / or court ordered to come here, are on probation, addiction problems, gang affiliation, etc.

or
    We can and will suspend for certain offenses, but not expel because the students have nowhere to go from here. We are the last stop. On some occasion we do refer students to independent study but it's not in lieu of expulsion (just a better fit, and sometimes it is due to behavior or clashes with other students)

it's not really related to the home but related to the students' situation. Like I stated above, there's nowhere to expel these students.

The 1st 3 years I was at a school that was all expelled / court ordered students, (behavior was very challenging) but this year we've merged with another school (this is a charter technically, but under the County Office of Ed, so it doesn't feel like a charter at all). Here we have students that come here by choice (smaller class sizes) and students that were expelled for lesser offenses (brought weed to school, non-violent offense, or simply were credit deficient). So the behavior is a LOT better but that's due to the merge.

I think my experiences are very different from those who are working at the "regular" high schools. Other schools similar to mine are probably different because they can have a very different mentality, approach and philosophy. They can be more chaotic and lenient or much more strict to the point of overkill.

I think with constant enforcement and fixing certain situations / policies, it will be better.