HELP! What do you think of Frankenstein for middle school?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by SOON2BTEACHER88, Oct 16, 2008.

1. SOON2BTEACHER88

SOON2BTEACHER88 Rookie

Oct 16, 2008

I am doing a project in one of my classes at my university and I need a book to teach...would Frankenstein be too difficult for maybe 7th grade? It sort of goes with what else I am doing, so if there is a way I could teach it and have it be less difficult or if it is not difficult for that grade level, let me know! I am really new at this.:unsure:

Thanks!

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2008

It's a pretty hard book. In my school, the 8th grade gifted LA class reads it SOME years, depending on the kids. I know I read that book as a freshman in college. Granted, it has been about 20 years, so I don't remember details about it.

4. SOON2BTEACHER88

SOON2BTEACHER88 Rookie

Oct 17, 2008

frustrated

yeah I read it my freshman year, too. Is there any way to use SOME of the book? How did they teach it to the 8th grade at your school? OR...do you know any other types of books that I could use? My project is hard to explain..its really a science project turned in to a language arts project:confused:. We have to use genetics, and since I am not going in to science, my professor said I could make it a language arts project instead and RELATE it to genetics. That part was fine for me, but we have to incorporate 5 TEKS as well. That is why I decided to use a book as a side part to my original activity, which was to make a monster using a flip of a coin to determine certain traits and then to write a story about their own monster's life after it was created...

I do not know many 7th grade level books and the first book that popped in to my head when I was thinking of what to use was Frankenstein! However, when I looked over it again it did seem really difficult...

i don't know what to do!!!!!! :(

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 17, 2008

My school SOMETIMES does it with 8th grade...but as a read-aloud, not a read on their own.

I suppose you could choose excerpts of the book and spoon feed them to 7th graders....

6. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Oct 17, 2008

I agree with everyone else. It's quite tough for 7th graders. I used it for student teaching, and I taught freshmen.

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2008

What about finding a short story that involves genetics. I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I'm sure they're out there. You could focus more on a non-fiction piece of text instead. There are lots of age-appropriate, thought provoking articles about genetics.

The seventh graders in my school do a project similar to what you described when they study genetics. It's called Maybe Baby and they use the dominant and recessive traits to create their babies and then draw what they would look like.

8. SOON2BTEACHER88

SOON2BTEACHER88 Rookie

Oct 17, 2008

Thank everyone so much for the help! Mrs. R- I think either a short story or a nonfiction piece on genetics would be a good way to go! Thanks for the idea!!!

9. reverie

reverie Companion

Oct 17, 2008

I had my 8th graders read Flowers for Algernon last year and they really enjoyed it. I think 7th graders would be capable of reading it as well. Good luck!

10. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Oct 17, 2008

I agree with Mrs. R. Maybe check the NSTA website to see if they have any ideas for science fiction stories

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Oct 17, 2008

Some of my most advance 7th graders have read it over the years, but not a single one of them like it.

You can find abridged versions.

12. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Oct 19, 2008

How about The Legend of Sleepy Hollow? I've done that book in the past with inner-city students as a read-aloud. They stayed very involved and although the book was above their reading level, they didn[t seem to mind. I'm very upset that I'm now stuck teaching LA for the rest of the year.