HELP! VERY low/reluctant writers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lei286, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Lei286

Lei286 Rookie

Jan 9, 2019

Anyone have any tips or resources you know/have liked when it comes to writing? Especially reluctant writers?

I teach in the lower primary grades and the majority of my students are SO LOW.

They can't write.
    They can't spell.
    They can't count.

I have been beating my head against the wall trying to meet the needs of everyone and there just isn't enough time in the day! My parents are looking to me asking why there child isn't growing (and while it is definitely not ALL me)- I don't have an answer! Writing is the worst though. I have so many kids who just stare at the paper and don't do anything. Or they tell me they don't know what to write. Or they write two sentences for 40 minutes and then stop and say they're done. Doing spelling this past week was very discouraging as well.

HELP!

3. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jan 9, 2019

Not in elementary, so don't know how much this will help - Do you know Nancy Atwell's books on writing? (one is called lessons that change writers) I can't remember who the elementary version of Atwell is. - I'm pretty sure there is one. You might try searching up writer's workshop for elementary. Sorry if this doesn't help.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 10, 2019

Have you tried sentence stems with these students? Or fill in the blank paragraphs?

[​IMG]

You may already be doing this but it is something that can help.

If that's too advanced, you might want to try a "write the room" activity. If you haven't heard of it, do a google search, there are a lot of blogs explaining it. :)