Help teaching sight words!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by scholarteacher, Jan 10, 2015.

1. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2015

Some of my kindergarteners are making progress with alphabet letters and sounds, but are having difficulty with sight words. Some of the sight words are decodable such as it and am, but most are not. Does anyone have suggestions, or helpful websites? Thanks!

3. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jan 10, 2015

Can you make them weekly spelling words with daily homework and classroom instruction (like buddy study)?

4. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Jan 10, 2015

We do this Say-Spell-Say game in my class. Whenever a new word introduced (but words that can't be decoded in particular) we say the word, spell it while clapping each letter, and then say again. After the word is introduced I have it pop up throughout the day so we can play our game again. It works very well with a number of my students, when we are writing I often see and hear them playing the game to remember how to spell it and they memorize these words (like "the") and can read them every time they appear.

5. scholarteacher

Jan 10, 2015

I've done that, but need to do it more often! Thanks for the reminder!

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2015

There are so many ideas on Pinterest. I've seen some cute ones but haven't pinned them because I haven't had a child that needed help with sight words in a few years (I teach 3rd/4th). Check it out.

7. scholarteacher

Jan 12, 2015

Thanks! I'll check it out! I use pinterest a lot!

8. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jan 12, 2015

Scholarteacher,

I made a powerpoint where I put the flashwords (one on each slide) on a delayed/rotating basis. I used it as time filler and the kids would say the word as it popped up on the smartboard, OR if you don't have a smartboard, computer screen. If you want the file, pm me your email.

Dr.Gator

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2015

In my class they I send home a new set of sight words every week. Two that are curriculum based and two that are from the dolch list that are not taught in our curriculum. We go over the stack everyday. You can tell the kids who don't do their homework and those who do when I test at the end of the six weeks.

10. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jan 12, 2015

I do Heidi Songs with my students and they catch pretty quick. They are songs for each sight word. They're great! Check out her website www.heidisongs.com

11. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jan 12, 2015

tactile also helps some students

I used lots of tactile things-sand/salt trays, sandpaper,foam ,glue, or other raised letters in addition to some of the suggestions you have already been given.