HELP, Students are hitting on me!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by BarbieTeacher, Feb 15, 2007.

1. BarbieTeacher

BarbieTeacher New Member

Feb 15, 2007

I am a new fifth grade teacher at a K-8 school and I have an embarrassing problem-- the middle school aged boys keep hitting on me. I will walk by a group of them in the hall and one of them will whistle, cat call, or make a semi-obsecene comment at me! I don't really know how to react because I rarely know which boy is guilty. When things like that happen outside of school I either play deaf, or sometimes answer with an equally obscene comment. However, as a teacher, I am at a loss. I know that I am young (easily the youngest teacher at the school) so I always dress very professionally and am so careful about how I present myself.

My questions is, how do I respond to this in a way that will end all of this and cause them to respect me as a teacher?

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2007

Next time it happens take the kid directly to the principal.... it's inexcusable behavior. Nip it in the bud.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 15, 2007

You can't ignore it. If you don't know who the student is, turn to the group and give them all a stern warning that doesn't leave any doubt in their minds that you don't welcome the inappropriate comments.

5. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Feb 15, 2007

Walk the whole group up to admin. Say what you would normally say outside of school, minus any expletives and make it take a few mintues. (Hopefully this will make them late where they are going and force them to explain themselves.) Just rip into them about respect, proper "manly" behavior, the formality of the teacher/student relationship, the rudeness, the degradation, and the thousand ways that it's just plain wrong. Or follow them where they are going, if you have time, and report the behavior (in a stage whisper) to the teacher to whose room they are reporting. Be a stone cold witch, as needed!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2007

Forgive me if I'm out of line here:

Your screen name "Barbie Teacher" immediately conjures up an image... and it's not that of a professional, stern diciplinarian. I wonder if on some level you're projecting that same not-quite-an adult image to these kids?

Or your real name could be Barbie or you could collect them or something and I could be totally off base. If so, I apologize.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 15, 2007

It did make me wonder, too, if you were willing to be the stern grown-up at work.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 15, 2007

The whole grade may be ripe for an intro seminar to sexual harrassment 101. It's good for peer knowledge at that age anyways.

9. BarbieTeacher

BarbieTeacher New Member

Feb 15, 2007

Haha, that is a fair enough concern! I certainly see your point. My name is Barbie... a fact I would never, ever tell my kiddos.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 15, 2007

Oh, that is a riot!! No matter what the name, it is hard sometimes to be willing to make them toe the line. Well, not for me, actually, .... LOL But I know it is for some.

11. hatima

hatima Devotee

Feb 15, 2007

Don't be surprized if the kids do know your first name. At most schools I've been at I knew all my teachers's first and last name. If it wasn't posted above the door, it was on paperwork on the teacher's desk, or another adult staff member used first names within earshot of kids. I always remembered to call my teachers by first name, but that's just how I was raised.

But I would talk to the administration, and if possible the class and explain the inappropriate actions the students are taking....also you might want to avoid making semi-obsene comments back, being the adult it doesn't look good for you.

Good luck:)

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2007

Then you have my sincere apology!!:sorry:

13. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2007

Ignoring inappropriate behavior works only once. Since it didn't work for you, it's time to take action on the whole group. You are an authority in the school - not just for your grade - and you don't have to take this rudeness! Report them and report the behavior and continue to make a big deal out of this until it stops. If it doesn't stop, there are other actions to take for sexual harassment.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 16, 2007

Seriously, a good opportunity for a school wide educational seminar.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 16, 2007

You are being harassed. It does not matter that these are 7th or 8th grade boys. It needs to be address. It doesn't matter that you don't know which in the group is doing the cat calling or whistling. They are all taking part of it by standing there and laughing among each other. You need to go speak the the principal immediately. Set up a plan with him or her to nip this problem before it gets worse.
    I worked in a middle school about 5 years ago. I had a 7th grade student grab my butt. I was so mad I walked out of the classroom and right into the principals office. The student was suspended for three or five days (I can't remember now). It got the point across that this type of behavior is not tolerated.
    You have already let this go on to long as it is, can you imagine what they are doing to the 7th and 8th grade girls if they have the balls to do it to a TEACHER!
    You need to go to talk your Principal on your next break, or over lunch today.

16. Zrocker

Zrocker Rookie

Feb 16, 2007

When I was in the 8th grade we had a very young attractive art teacher.

She didn't last long. I am sure it was in part because she couldn't handel us boys.

Her method was she started to cry and said that she had been raped.

It did stop the inaproprate behavior in it tracks and made several of my friends feel guilty.

Hope she moved on to another school. I just know we had her at our school for one semester and never saw her again.

She also wan't very fair in grading. So perhpas it would be better if she didn't move on to another school after all.

I'm new to teaching in a school setting; but, I have worked juvenile corrections. I believe fairness is very important to getting and recieving respect. The fact that you were concerned about who was the responsible party tells me your concerned with the fairness issue.

Sometimes the kid pulling another kids strings to do something is the real problem. Not the kid cohersed into making a whistle.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  17. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2007

The real problem is that a kid would even think of doing this to another adult... but then again, the times sure have changed. I graduated high school in 1990, so yes, it was a while ago, but not that long ago.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Feb 18, 2007

Middle school boys are full of hormones and not too full of good sense. We have a sexual harrassment policy in our handbook, and they are referred to the office for offenses you mention.

19. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Feb 22, 2007

I find it appalling that some people are blaming "Barbie" when she is only asking for help. This is what this site is all about, right?

Ever heard of the rape victim stories where the police constantly blame the victims for being raped? Terrible.

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 22, 2007

Barbie did you ever talk to the principal? What happened?

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2007

I'm the one who started the "blame"... please allow me respond.

Anytime we're online, we can only rely on what's typed. It's not unheard of to have kids post, posing as adults. That's what I first suspected-- that "Barbie" was a kid being cute. Or that the original poster was unconsciously projecting the image of a Barbie Doll, which would not help in a class of young boys. Again, we have no way of knowing.

As rude as it probably sounded, I wanted to raise the issue. When I found out that I was wrong, I apologized and meant it sincerely.

From that point onward, I think the answers have been helpful. I don't teach kids that young and felt I had nothing to offer the discussion.

My apologies again, both to Barbie and to anyone else who felt I was out of line here.