Help please! Hoping to relocate to Florida

Discussion in 'General Education' started by maybeblissful, Jan 10, 2017.

1. maybeblissful

maybeblissful Rookie

Jan 10, 2017

Hello everyone,
    I am looking into relocating from Pennsylvania to Florida. I would like to stay in the Orlando area. Any suggestions on preferred districts or areas to look into as I prepare?
    Any other useful information anyone can give me? I currently have my bachelors degree in elementary education and would like to go for my masters while I'm down there. So if anyone knows which districts may offer assistance for continuing education, I would appreciate it.
    Thanks a lot!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. anon55

anon55 Companion

Jan 10, 2017

I have no idea about Florida, but check greatschools.org to look up any school and see what the quality is

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Habitué

Jan 10, 2017

NY -er here also interested in FL. Leon County has been recommended to me by people on this board and it's located near colleges, which is also a plus. Check it out.
    http://www.leonschools.net/

5. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Rookie

Jan 11, 2017

Try Escambia County, it's a mixed and very diverse suburb of schools located in Pensacola. I went to middle school there, met many friends and that inspired to me become a secondary school teacher. The ratings are near a 6 or 7 on Greatschools. The good thing with an "in between" rating like that is when it comes to teaching that means while the students work and are generally motivated, there isn't as much of a strong focus on testing and evaluating/criticizing teachers as in some of the other higher performing school districts- which means less stress for you. :wink: You also would get to touch lives and inspire there as they have some at risk students there too.
    Greatschools.org

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    anon55 likes this.
  6. maybeblissful

maybeblissful Rookie

Jan 11, 2017

Thank you!

7. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Jan 11, 2017

If you want to work in the Orlando area, you may want to choose Seminole or Osceola counties before looking into Orange county. If you like the beach, Volusia County is pretty good.

Overall, you will see positive schools in every county of the state. If you can narrow your search down to what specif needs/interests you have, you can find a good school here.

8. maybeblissful

maybeblissful Rookie

Jan 11, 2017

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for! I will definitely look into those counties! I would be ok being a little farther from Orlando...if there's a beach.

9. maybeblissful

maybeblissful Rookie

Jan 11, 2017

An update to the search.
    In case anyone else is reading this volusia county seems to be a safe place to teach and comes highly recommended but it's the lowest paying county.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Jan 12, 2017

It is also less expensive to live in Volusia (unless you want to live right on the beach!)
    Flagler county is north of Volusia and it is also a nice place to live and work.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 12, 2017

Avoid Palm Beach County like the plague.