**HELP new TO AtoZ and NEW 5th grade teacher**

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by missanna, Jul 28, 2006.

1. limaca

limaca Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

New to Grade 4/5 Split Class

I will be teaching a grade 4/5 split class in September. There will be 6 grade 4s and 16 grade 5s. I am very excited to teach junior. I have taught grade 1/2 for the past 4 years, but during that time I was on maternity leave for several months almost every year. We have three children ages 4, 2 and 1.

I totally agree with all the suggestions re: discipline and teaching procedures. Last year I was on maternity leave until Nov. and I found it so hard to establish order without being there in September and being able to develop routines. It truly helps to eliminate behavior issues. This is especially true for children with ADHD or learning disabilities. I took a behavior management workshop this past year and one thing that was stressed was posting a schedule in your classroom that can be changed daily to show each day's subjects etc. This way the children know what to expect. They feel in control of their environment and less stressed over what is to come. I am definitely going to implement this in the fall.

2. alan1erin

alan1erin Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

I am a new teacher as well and will be teaching 5th grade. Thanks for all this great advice. It is so nice to know there is a place to go and get advice form other teachers!! Thank you!!

3. msladybugzz

msladybugzz Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

I've taught for 15 years and about 9 years ago I began a daily award system - I've used it in every grade 1-5 and swear by it! MY theme is Ladybugs, since I collect them, but you could use any kind of acronym you wanted to as long as it is meaningful...

I give out a BUG Award each day to ONE person who was "Being Unusually Good" that day. S/he is selected at he VERY end of the day, based on ~whatever~ a good deed, nice playground behavior, finished/neat work, etc... Here are the details:

THE BULLETIN BOARD: It is the largest one in the class and up all year (one less to change regularly!) It has stuffed ladybugs (4-5 of different sizes) and a kiddy bug net attached with another bug inside it. At the bottom there is a picket fence to dress it up since it is bare at the beginning of the year (Frank Schaffer catalog for the fence). Anyway - The caption reads "I Was Caught....BUG" The BUG is vertical, and stemming from each letter in smaller letters it is spelled out: Being Unusually Good

THE AWARD: I buy several packages of the large AND small ladybug novel note pads. Each day, I will use one large and one small note. The small note goes on the bulletin board with the child's name and date. I have an award stamp that I stamp on the large sheets. The large one is filled out with the child's name and date and it goes home. Along with that, the child takes home "Lucky" a stuffed ladybug (yes - even my 5th graders liked this). Lucky comes back the next day and can sit on that child's desk until the next BUG Award winner is announced (after a drum roll, of course). Lucky ALWAYS comes back because the BUG will not be awarded again until it does (peer pressure!) The BUG winner also gets to sit on my ladybug shaped rug when we do any floor activities.

I let parents know about it at open house and in an introductory letter, so they really reward their child when s/he comes home with the BUG. On my weekly newsletter, there is a permanent box in which I filll in each name next to the days. I put a ladybug dot sticker on an incentive chart so I know how many times each child has had it.

WHEW! I think that's it! I know It sounds like a lot of work, but it is really an incentive! Kids throughout my school (and I've used it in three) recognize Lucky and congratulate the child holding it on the bus, etc...
    A coworker liked this idea and used - BEE, Being Exceptionally Enjoyable. I'm sure you could come up with an acronym for CAT, PIG, DOG, etc...and plan your "theme" around that!
    Good Luck in the upcoming school year!

4. MissMulcahy

MissMulcahy Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

I think this is a great idea! I am goign to try to use the "Being Exceptionally Excellent! Our school's mascot is the Bee! Thanks!

5. msladybugzz

msladybugzz Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

Good choice - BEE notepads, etc are pretty easy to come by! I'm glad to have helped! :) Break a leg!

6. limaca

limaca Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

Missana, I really like your idea of Rising Stars. I was thinking of using that as well. One thing that might work well with this theme is using it as an incentive/reward program. You could have a chart or laminated board that would allow you to post stars each time that class did something well (eg. worked well together, worked quietly, etc.) and after they reached a certain goal of a predetermined number of stars then they could have a class treat (eg. longer recess, game, etc.). The idea being they are rising stars working together for a common goal. I also wanted to have a bulletin board with a star for each child with their name on it. The students could post one piece of work that they are particularly proud of each week or every second week. I would title it Super Stars.

7. missanna

missanna Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

Limaca,
    Thank you for the feedback :) I think I am going to reward a star at the end of each day and then reward the class on friday with free time or something along that line...as long as they get 5stars for the week.

8. limaca

limaca Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

That is a great idea. I kind of tweaked my reward system. It is going to be a star that rises as they earn points and when the star rises to the top, the class gets a reward. What are you going to do for students who misbehave? I teach grade 4/5 and I am trying to decide what to do.

9. 2Teach_is_2Care

2Teach_is_2Care Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

thinking about ladybugz....

MrsLadybugz, I LOVE your idea! It sounds like a fantastic way to motivate students to be good. Could you post a copy of your introductory letter that you send home? I'm now thinking about how I can make this fit into my classroom.... DOG--> Doing Outstandingly Good! and my bulletin board could say: I was Spotted... DOG! With "Spot" our dog.... hmmm :D :thanks:

do you have anything special for the weekends for the students?

10. 2Teach_is_2Care

2Teach_is_2Care Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

Limaca,
    For your system do you just have one star for the whole class or individual stars for each student? What will happen if you have that "one" student who just can't make it to the top? Will the other students not be able to have their 'reward' because of that one student?

11. KIF

KIF Companion

Aug 4, 2006

MrsLadybugz,

I was also wondering if you had a copy of the letter that you send out at the beginning of the year explaining the program. It is great!

Thank you! Suddenly this week I'm getting excited about next year so I'm hungry for new ideas!

12. kariteach

kariteach New Member

Aug 7, 2006

THe idea here is good, but be careful when making a reward system too involved or impossible for some of the challenging students to be successful. I find it really hard to manage individual things for the whole class. Having the star move whenthe class is cooperative, etc. can help them work together and establish a postive climate. It is great that you are giving these things a lot of thought before the year begins. This will help you to have a successful year for sure! :)

13. lovestoteach

lovestoteach Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

Hi, I have been teaching for 11 years but this is going to be my first year teaching fifth grade. I am moving to a new school and will only be teaching math and science. I have loved all of these suggestions but am curious how I should approach a behavior management system with two classes of kids...Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 11, 2006

I use the same behavior management for both sections of students I teach. One of the biggest challenges I face every year is student chatter. When it starts getting out of control I introduce the HUSH system (you could also use QUIET). I write the word HUSH on the board and when the class starts getting too noisy I give one verbal warning. After that I erase one letter for each time there is excessive talking. This could be too much noise during group work, visiting and talking when I'm teaching, whatever. If just one person is the problem I don't erase a letter though. The whole class has consequences if the entire word gets erased. I just tell them at the start that if the word should ever disappear there will be a lot of writing done that night and none of it by me. Then I let their imaginations go to work ;) ! If you have more than one group just write the word twice using different colors. I have done this for as many as three classes at once as well as boys and girls if one group had more trouble than the other.

15. alan1erin

alan1erin Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

That is a great idea. I may have to try that:)

16. lovestoteach

lovestoteach Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

:) :thanks:
    That's a great tip! I will definitely try it in my room. What do you do on the first day in terms of explaining your expectations for behavior? I have taught only up through 3rd grade. I don't want my ideas to come across as too babyish for 5th graders.

17. Aug 11, 2006

First Day

I usually start the first day with a small paper bag on each desk that is labeled "Mr. B's Survival Bag". In it are small items such as an eraser, pencil, bookmark, piece of hard candy, a letter from me to them about myself, a small booklet from last year's students on how to survive my classroom, a word find puzzle with their classmates names on it, etc......

The first day is all about establishing routines and getting to know each other a little. We discuss lunch count routines, lining up, hallway walking routines, morning work, daily schedules, games we play to get to know one another in morning meeting, expectations, handing out textbooks, etc......

The book that I read is First Day Jitters......it's a book about the first day of school from a teacher's point of view - right up your alley maybe? :)

We practice these daily routines for several weeks. Each school is so different from one another, that you may want to check with other teachers in your building/team to see what they can help you with also.......any other ways that I can help - just ask!

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2006

Welcome to AtoZ, timberwolvesmn! What grade do you teach?

19. Aug 11, 2006

Thanks - 5th Grade for seven years now - I taught special ed for 3 years before that.....how about you?

20. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Aug 11, 2006

I browsed through this book a few weeks ago and although it was funny. However, with the ending I don't want my students to think that I am a teacher who is afraid of teaching. At least that's the conclusion I came to when I got to the end.

How does it work reading it in your class? Are your students receptive to it?