Help: New Teacher with family problems who needs to leave her job

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sarahmw2007, Aug 12, 2017 at 9:51 AM.

1. sarahmw2007

sarahmw2007 New Member

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Hi everyone. To make a long story short, I am a first year teacher who was hired to teach at a middle school who had lost 1/3 of their teaching staff this past year about a half hour from home. When I first accepted the position I was thrilled and excited (I am a MAT program student with a year to go in her program who was originally an accountant/banking person). In the last 2 weeks some family issues have arisen that are of a personal matter (1 illness, 1 work injury with surgery, 1 mental health situation). I have been hoping that these issues would improve , but it's looking like they aren't going anywhere any time soon. Can I ask for my release?
    I have not signed or even seen my contract yet, though I know one exists at the BOE for me. I can stick around for a few weeks until they find a replacement for me since it is the very beginning of the year and I don't want to leave them in any more of a lurch than I already know I will be.
    Does anyone have any advice for me in this situation? Has anyone had a similar situation arise? Hypothetically if I had signed a contract (which I have not) what could they do if it is a family emergency/medical emergency situation that requires me to break my agreement?) I feel terrible, but family needs me now, and they will always come first.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 10:59 AM
  3. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:42 AM

Let them know ASAP what is going on. Time is critical and since the school year is going to start soon they will need to look for a replacement sooner rather than later. If you havent signed the contract, I think it would be pretty easy to get out. It doesnt matter that one already exist for you...until you sign it, its just paper. I would call or go to HR and explain the situation. Tell them you need out and you are able to sub the class until they have a replacement. AFTER you told HR, then I would go talk to the Principal of your school site and apologize for this situation and explain that you are willing to sub until a replacement teacher is found.

4. sarahmw2007

sarahmw2007 New Member

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:50 AM

I should talk to HR first before I talk to the principal? Like I said, i am a newbie and don't know procedure all that well.

5. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:11 AM

Thats what I would do....they are the ones who print contracts and walk you through the signing of contracts. Once you sign the contract you are entering into a legal agreement. If you havent signed the contract talking to principals wont do much good...so i would do after so you can tell him/her that you have let HR know and that you are willing to stick around until replacement is hired. It will be up to the Principal and HR to work out those arrangements

6. bella84

bella84 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:21 PM

Personally, I'd do it the opposite way. I'd tell the principal first and then HR. HR doesn't have a stake in the game, but the principal does. He'll probably take it worse than HR does. If you tell HR first, they will probably share the news with the principal right away, before you can get to him. I'd definitely want to tell him before they do. So, if it were me, I'd tell the principal and then ask him if he'd like to contact HR or if you should contact them directly.

AlwaysAttend and justwanttoteach like this.
  7. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Aug 12, 2017 at 3:47 PM

Having given it some thought....I agree with Bella84...Principal THEN HR....do it in that order! Less chance of burning a bridge completely

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

Aug 12, 2017 at 5:52 PM

Yes, principal first. You might not even need to deal with HR at that point.