Help!! Need inquiry lesson for science

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Darkhorse, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Sep 22, 2009

Our district is really into using science notebooks and following inquiry, hands-on learning for science. However, the people at my school (and probably other schools too) tend to be pretty stand-offish when it comes to the science notebook. It was also mentioned that many of our staff prefer a more lecture type of instruction and it was suggested that it would help for teachers to experience more hands-on types of instruction.

For some reason I volunteered to lead a lesson on inquiry for the staff at my school to help get to this end. Now my mind is going blank as to a good inquiry based lesson.

So, I need some good ideas that I could do in 25 minutes.

HELP!!!!

3. goopp

goopp Devotee

Sep 22, 2009

Do "Save Fred"...just google it for the instructions. It's a fun hands-on lesson that we use to get our kids excited about science the 1st week of school.

4. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Sep 22, 2009

I have found that many teachers shy away from inquiry based science because of they think inquiry means students going every which way and not having control over the class. I advise whatever lesson you do have parts in place to show how to manage an inquiry lesson: student roles, a plan on how to manage supplies and movement of children, how to have students record and report results.

5. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Sep 22, 2009

I have a smartboard lesson that teaches the parts of an inquiry but it's more focused at looking what you do with the results of your data.

I suggest Science Notebooks Writing About Inquiry by Brian Campbell and Lori Fulton (maybe you can even talk your Admin into getting one per grade level team). The book is a really good to "begin teachers on a journey in developing the use of scince notebooks in their elementary classrooms." (Campbell).