Help! My kids don't understand place value!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by awp0718, Sep 18, 2007.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2007

Oh, you should see my room. Everyone always thinks I have these "wonderful ideas" for getting various concepts across to my kiddos. Haha, it's so funny. I have made little letter tiles, flip books, rounding charts, number lines, all things I've seen in catalogs.

Catalogs are my inspiration! That's the way you live when you work at a Title 1 school! :cool:

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 24, 2007

"Expanded notation."

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2007

good luck with that one! I still don't know! llike left and right...until I turn around! the alligator eats the big one?! < > less than, greater than? and = to ...and hey, isn't there a greater than and/or equal to? :confused:

this is why I teach preschool! :rolleyes:

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2007

you go TG! You are my hero!! :cool:

that is a math test question

which number is seven hundreds, four tens and two ones?

I hate word problems!!!

math phobia sufferers unite here!!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 25, 2007

"Greater than": yes, the alligator eats the bigger number. Or, if you prefer, Ms. PacMan eats the bigger number. Or if we think of the > symbol as two lines drawn to connect three points: two points on the left are more than one point on the right.

TWO points, left > ONE point, right

You can even think of it like music: "greater than" would be a decrescendo (from larger to smaller), "less than" a crescendo (from smaller to larger).

And "greater than or equal to" looks like a > on top of a _.

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2007

ok, I do have an answer

I saw this on my last sub assignment. I was so cool.

This teacher used all types of tops, lids, caps, you name it. Laundry bottle tops, mayo jars, etc. She put them in groups of 10s inside ziploc bags. The first graders used them for counting. I think you could try that for place value. the rods, or unifix cubes can be a little vauge..IMO...10 of these equal one of those, yeah right.

but volume..like place value is easier to see. a big Tide top is 100 and a Downy top could be 10 and a Shout cap could be 1.

I really wish I had maniplatives when I was little! I definitely needed some tactile understanding.

what about straws...the small ones for stiring coffee, or drinking milk? that is a classic for counting the days of school.

you do calendar, and then you show we have been in school by place value, 100, 10, 1. Right now, we are up to 22 in Chicago burbs. So you would start with single straw in ones. Once you have 10 straws, bundle them with a rubber band, and put in tens, and then 2 bundles = 20, and 2 single straws in ones pocket - 22 days.

some people make the pocket charts, and others just get it from Kaplan/Lakeshore.

oh...another class did this with money too.

pennies...and then they used a dime after they had 10 pennies, and then they used a dime after 10 dimes, they used a dollar.

yeah..this was a fancy-suburban school. Last time I saw a dollar in a jar, (that stayed there) it was inside a glass milk bottle on my back porch.

sigh.

tell me I am not alone here... :anyone:

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2007

what would I do without you?? you know..I knew! i just freak out on a test and they don't make them nice and big like you did :wub:!

now, can you solve quadratic equations...by the Hindu method! My Dad keeps saying this..and it drives me nuts!

I honestly have yet to find ANY situation that requires me to find the square root of a number! we need a - math for real life class.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 25, 2007

Nope. But then again the math I teach is a good deal closer to real-life math.

9. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Sep 25, 2007

It is not early, seems we are all starting place value about now in second grade. We HAVE to follow the curriculum or we are written up and could be placed on PIP or not rehired. Our district is very strict on this. We start out with tens and ones then in a later chapter we deal with hundreds. I have always had fun using large marshmallows, toothpicks and cheerios. The toothpick goes in the large marshmallow, cheerios are your 'beads'. You label each marshmallow, Hundreds, Tens and ones. Then write a number on the board, they stack the cheerios accordingly. So 245, place 2 cheerios on hundreds, 4 on tens and 5 on ones. When done, they can eat!

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2007

hmmm...new wellness policy in one district says no more food for lessons! they are afraid of childhood obesity. that would change things for a lot of people! of course, no candy for rewards either!!!

seeing marshmallows would drive the principal insane!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 25, 2007

(sighing)

Lumps of modeling clay or chunks of florist's foam and pony beads, then.

12. awp0718

awp0718 Rookie

Sep 28, 2007

Great idea! Thanks!!

13. awp0718

awp0718 Rookie

Sep 28, 2007

SUCH a cute idea! We're moving on now (I still have some remediation to do...) but I am definitely using these next year! Thank you all so much for your help! You really kept a first year teacher sane!