Help me identify this "script"!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Nate, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Nate

Nate Companion

Nov 19, 2013

As a teacher in an ASD classroom, I'm very used to out-of-context scripting from my students. Eventually, curiosity gets the better of me and I start to wonder where a frequently-occuring script comes from. In the past, I've asked other students, asked other teachers who have older kids who are watching TV, and even googled the quote to find out where it comes from. But I'm stumped on this most recent one. The most interesting this is that it changes. The format is always,

"__________ was dreadful."

The first time we heard it was, "The Spongebob Squarepants movie was dreadful". Most recently, it's, "Hot Wheels was dreadful". It's done in an alternate voice, so I'm certain it's a script, and not a spontaneous review. Any ideas?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Fanatic

Nov 19, 2013

Maybe the student heard an adult say it about a movie they saw and they are just repeating it with their own movie inserted. One student I had would say he didn't want to do work in class because he was "retired". His mom said his grandfather frequently said that at home so he just picked it up :lol:

4. Nate

Nate Companion

Nov 19, 2013

I would be surprised if he was improvising within a script (this is a kid who scripts in a perfect British accent when pulling from UK television shows), but I'd also be surprised if there was a show with this much complaining about such a wide range of entertainment. I'm stumped.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Nov 19, 2013

It's Simon Cowell, or someone off of a reality show.