Help!!! Job Opening!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MissE, Oct 2, 2006.

1. MissE

MissE Rookie

Oct 2, 2006

Hi everyone!!! :) I am extremely exciting because I think that there may be a job opening in the near future. You see I live in Pittsburgh. I am sure all of you have seen my topics posted about how it is impossible to get a job around here and how I am considering moving because of that.
    Anyways....This is kind of a long story. My friend is currently the aide in the fourth grade classroom at our school. There is also a regular teacher in that classroom. That regular teaching will be leaving in the middle of the year for maternity leave, and she will not be returning for a year and a half. I am currently the in school suspension teacher (@ the pay of an aide...no benefits...no fun :( )
    My friend is supposed to be taking over for the regular teacher in the classroom for the year and a half that she's off. The thing is my friend just got offered another long term substitute position and I think she is taking it.
    So the reason I am so excited is because I am probably next in line for that job. There is only one other aide in our school and he only started a week in this school year. I was here all last year. So I'm pretty sure that if my friend leaves I will be put into the position. I was just wondering if you could all help me out.
    When do you think I should approach my principal/superintendent about being placed in that position? '
    I'm not sure if I should ask right away...or what??? I just don't want it to seem like I am pushing my friend out the door to steal her glory-or maybe her job. But I also don't want that job to be given to anyone else.
    I'm also not really sure what I should say to the principal. I don't just want to go to him and say....so can I get that job now???
    I want to make sure that I am very professional so that I am really considered for the position.
    So it anyone could give me help on this I would greatly appreciate it!!!! :thanks:
    Sorry post is so long...I'm know to take forever to tell a story:D

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2006

Is your friend staying in the district in the other sub job? In that case the disrict is aware she won't be taking over and is probably already thinking about who to put in that position. The thing with maternity leaves are they don't want to promise too far in advance in case the pregnancy 'doesn't go to term'. You might want to go up to an administrator and say something along the lines of:'I'm really enjoying the opportunities my new position has given me. I've met many of the students and am buidling on my repetoire of behavior management/whatever skills here you think the suspension room has built...I do miss being in a regular ed classroom, though and wanted you to know that I would be very interested in any long term replacement positions that may open this year. ' Your comments may just open up the dialog about the maternity position...good luck.

4. MissE

MissE Rookie

Oct 3, 2006

No...it's not my friend who is leaving for maternity leave. My friend is the aide in a class where the regular classroom teacher is pregnant and leaving after the first of the year.....So my friend was supposed to take over....now my friend got a job so she is leaving....so that long term sub position is going to be open.