Help! Is this professional?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by KatieCat, Mar 17, 2017.

1. KatieCat

KatieCat New Member

Mar 17, 2017

My question is:
    I was fortunate to be very close with my high school principal. He was very supportive and extremely approachable. In college I worked at a preschool where I cared for his children and got to know his wife. He knows me personally and professionally.
    He no longer is a principal but an assistant superintendent for another district. The school district is perfect.
    Is it professional to reach out to show interest in the district? How do I do that? My husband is not a teacher but in a completely different field where emails are normal forms of communicating with higher ups and it's completely professional. He is pushing me to reach out to the man for a job because we are familiar with eachother. It doesn't work like that in the teaching field. I'm just trying to get my name out but I don't want to make a fool out of myself.
    What do I do?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Mar 18, 2017

I don't see any reason why you can't ask him if you could use him for a reference. That will tell him that you are interested in a position in his district and may get the ball rolling positively in your direction.

Obadiah and MrsC like this.
  4. KatieCat

KatieCat New Member

Mar 18, 2017

I'm concerned about how to go about it without going beyond the boundaries. I have three lovely references that have seen me teach first-hand in a classroom, but he hasn't since I was a student and then an employee. If I were to ask him for a reference, how do I contact? Is email okay? I am incredibly nervous about making a bad impression.

5. Obadiah

Obadiah Cohort

Mar 18, 2017

I'd say go with your intuition. After reviewing all the pros and cons of contact, your own intuitive reasoning will guide you into whether an email contact is helpful or possibly harmful. I would also suggest meeting with a local professional who assists people in getting employed. S/he has specialized current information and would be able to give advice beyond your scope of knowledge. If you would contact this A.S., I would recommend one of two options: an informal, friendly email or phone call just to let him know you are considering his district, and perhaps asking questions about the district; another idea, if this is still a proper procedure in this district, is to submit your resume in person, because per chance his office will be nearby and he might notice you applying. For personal visits, I'd recommend dressing professionally, and be prepared for a sudden request to fill out an application on the spot or an informal interview. It happens. (Upon writing this, I realized I'm showing my age; for most districts one applies over the Internet, nowadays, but I'd still see value in an in person submission of some kind of letter or resume showing interest, for any district applied for). Another quick thought, school and district websites are a valuable source of information; by viewing pictures and reading parent information, you'll gain insight into how the district or school operates which might better prepare you for your interview.

6. bella84

bella84 Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2017

Are you still in touch with him? How long has it been? I don't see the harm in applying for a job and then sending a quick email to say: "Hey, I noticed that you are the asst. super here. I applied for a job. Hope all is well!" If it's been awhile since you've been in touch, I prob wouldn't ask for a reference or for a job, but I don't think it hurts to say hi and put yourself on his radar.

anon55 likes this.
  7. MichelleH

MichelleH New Member

Mar 20, 2017

What is the worst that can happen? Reach out. Let him know that you are applying in his district. Make your first contact short and simple, as bella84 suggests. If he responds, then you can go further with your communication. Good luck!

8. Jerry Dill

Jerry Dill Companion

Mar 25, 2017

You could ask him generally for advice and ideas about how to organize and direct your job search, and then if he wants to volunteer his letter of recommendation or further involvement he will do so, and if he does not want to involve himself, he won't have to decline your request for his letter or involvement.