Help inside classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by readingrules12, Aug 10, 2017.

1. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 10, 2017

My classroom this year has large windows that bring in lots of natural light. Even with the thin shades pulled down and the lights off, there is enough light that it interferes with anything dark on a SMART board. Anyone have good ideas or something I/school could purchase to make the room darker? The windows are large (8 to 10 feet tall). I think money might not be too much of an issue so I am open to any and all ideas. Thank you!

3. CharRMS

CharRMS Rookie

Aug 10, 2017

What about blackout curtains?

readingrules12 likes this.
  4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 10, 2017

I hadn't heard of blackout curtains before (I guess my "maleness" is showing.) I looked on the internet and this looks like a great option. Thanks!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2017

Put black border paper around the interior of the windows.

6. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 11, 2017

I also have a similar problem. It is only an issue in the morning when the sun hits the window a certain way. Luckily, this is only a bigger problems when we are trying to watch a movie which happens rarely.

We often tape some heavy colored paper over the windows where the light is pouring through. I guess I should break down and get some blackout curtains myself. I have about 12 feet of windows though....Grr...Our old windows had blinds that actually worked. These newer blinds are useless.

7. Fun_Teacher

Fun_Teacher Companion

Aug 11, 2017

Blackout curtains would be a practical option.
    If it ends up too expensive, consider changing your class schedule to adapt with the sun rays/natural light in the classroom.

8. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 11, 2017

All of our classrooms had fire resistant shades because they had to be pulled if there was a lockdown or a lockdown practice. Curtains or drapes need to be fire retardant. Paper would not be allowed, too, because of a fire. i would ask for shades to be installed if this is possible.

9. CharRMS

CharRMS Rookie

Aug 11, 2017

You're welcome! :) Do you have a Bargain Hunt store nearby? I got mine there for under $5 per panel (84 inches). Maybe even try Goodwill?