Help! I'm new!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by georgie4682, May 9, 2006.

1. georgie4682

georgie4682 Rookie

May 9, 2006

Hello everyone, I am new here as well as in the teaching field. I have just completed my student teaching and now I am subbing in the same district where I student taught.

I really like the district, but the kids are tough. Many come from troubled homes and have serious behavior problems in school.

Today was my first day subbing. I was so happy and excited to begin. They started me in a Kindergarten class. I thought it was going to go wonderfully; the teacher had left me complete lesson plans and I quickly discivered where everything is kept. But then the kids came in. They were so loud all day. I had to literally yell over them to get them to quiet down for a couple minutes. I thought I was doing something wrong at first, but then other teachers told me that it is the worst behaving kindergarten class. Lucky me!!

Everytime I turned around someone else was out of their seat and they wouldn't stop hitting each other. I had two injuries, both complete accidents, but that still doesn't make me look good. Everyone had a stomach ache and wanted to go to the nurse too!

Does anyone have any advice for a new substitute on how to control a situation such as this? Thank you so much!!

3. Mitzi

Mitzi Rookie

May 9, 2006

georgie4682,

I find that learning names as quickly as possible helps a lot. Just associate something special with the child, what he/she is wearing helps if there are a lot of students in the class.

Give a lot of praise and keep repeating names, e.g. Great job, Javon!
    What a big help you are to me Destiny!"
    If they hit, send them to a "Chill Out" spot, with a penguin (Look in the stuffed animals. Kids can help. Or ask, what could you hold to chill out?"
    This is nearly the end of the school year and no wonder it's difficult
    in some schools. I
    Get the Book 123 Magic... Lots of great ideas!!
    I always carry a treat bag with me (this week lollipops because my friend Barb always calls me when things at Rite Aid are 75% off!)

Also, I promise them if they're good for me they can earn minutes for recess up to 30! (But I make sure a regular teacher/s are also going out as subs in my city aren't allowed to take the kids out alone!

Hope this helps! At least, these techniques have worked for me!

mitzi

4. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 10, 2006

Mitzi,

I really love your "Chill out" idea. I might have a corner of my classroom for that next year! :) What grade do you use that in?

Thanks so much!

5. georgie4682

georgie4682 Rookie

May 10, 2006

Thanks so much, I will definitely try these out today!!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 10, 2006

Try lowering your voice instead of raising it. It tends to get their attention.

Also, my daughter's Kindergarten teacher (and apparently a lot of the other teachers in the school) has a system. She claps her hands. 1,2- 3,4,5. At that signal, every kid in the room has to stop whatever they're doing and repeat the pattern. It serves to break into whatever inappropriate behavior is happening, it's easy to hear (but doesn't sound like nagging or yelling) and, by the way, it works on patterns for math.

Good luck!!

7. Mitzi

Mitzi Rookie

May 10, 2006

Hi, Starista,

I use the "Chill Out" with a penguin in Kindergarten.
    Glad you liked the idea!
    Aliceacc"s suggestion of the clapping pattern, I also have used with
    K-4.

mitzi

8. kimlovesteachin

kimlovesteachin Rookie

May 10, 2006

georgie4682,

I definitely know what you mean about all the kids wanting to go to the nurse at once! I subbed in Kindergarten and there was a boy who was really misbehaving and upsetting all the other students. One student started to cry, and then another. Then many started feeling sick and wanted to go to the nurse. It seemed like once one student asked to go, everyone else wanted to go as well.

9. georgie4682

georgie4682 Rookie

May 11, 2006

What did you do about that? I know you're supposed to send them to the nurse if something is really wrong, but these kids just started crying if I told them to wait and see how they felt after lunch. There was just no getting around it. They remembered after lunch so I sent about four of them one at a time to the nurse.

10. kimlovesteachin

kimlovesteachin Rookie

May 11, 2006

I'm pretty new at this, so I don't know the best thing to do. I told the students to wait a while and see how they felt and once things settled down, they weren't asking to go to the nurse anymore. I always think the nurse will be mad if you send students down when nothing is really wrong with them. But how do you know if the students actually feel sick?

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

May 11, 2006

Have them go sit in the corner and relax a few minutes that sometimes cures the tummy ache.

Some hand lotion makes an ouchee go away.

123 look at me. Students stop and repeat.

The cheapest smallest band-aids heals a paper cut or scratch.

Chapped lips. A big box of Q-tips and a small jar of vasealine. Teacher dips the Q-tip and students puts some on their lips and puts the Q-tip in the trash.

Crying. Oh, tell me about it and the crying stops and quickly say oh, I think everything will be ok. You aren't crying anymore.

Sometimes "Oh, I think you need a tissue to wipe away the tears"

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

May 20, 2006

A peppermint also works for tummies if you are allowed to pass out candy, but be sure to have enough for everyone because those tummy aches are very contagious!

13. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

May 25, 2006

Georgie,

I would highly recommend you figure out who the "ring leader" is in the group. Once you have determined the leader's name, you should talk to the child away from classmates. I would suggest that you make it clear to the student that you will not tolerate any disruptive behavior and that he/she will be removed from the class during that time. I would also make it clear to the other students if they CHOOSE to "follow the leader", they will suffer consequences of their own as well. If you have the whole class stay in from recess, SO BE IT! You need to be in control, NOT THEM! Document any form of behavior intervention and keep it for YOURSELF. Give others copies if they request, BUT NOT THE ORIGINAL! I would suggest that you talk to them in a calm voice and see how that works. If the students seem squirmy, get them to calm down by doing some deep pressure massages to their arms and legs. It's real simple and it's not unethical. It's wonderful for students who have attention problems as well as sensory issues. I would also suggest that you purchase the YACKER TRACKER. It's a great tool to determine the noise level in the classroom. It's a three signal traffic light (green, yellow, red) which flashes when the noise level increases and it also emits sound as well. You are allowed to determine the noise level you want. It costs less than $50 too! I would start giving them simple tasks which they are familiar with so that they get back into the routine of doing work too. If the administration staff complains, explain your situation and show them the efforts you have made to control the behavior. ENFORCE the rules. Do NOT BARGAIN with these kids, they need to listen to you!